Class III Hitch Fiasco

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucky you got the $500. I don't see how the dealer is on the hook for it unless they told you it was a Class III hitch when in fact it was not, although I'll agree that most car salesman 1) are idiots, and 2) are salesmen first and car guys second (this is why I was less than successful as a car salesman). The guy I deal with has been doing it for 25 years and I usually know more than he does.

Quote:

My '03 with a V6 does fine with about 3800lbs, and I do have the 2" receiver... Pulled about 6000 lbs with it a few times for short distances, and it was struggling a bit...

ChrisT, the difference is that the '07 receiver is rated as a Class III/IV. Your '03 does NOT have a class IV rating at all. Class IV gets into weight distributing which your '03 (or any other gen1 ) is not rated for.

Ok, but I do use the Ford class III weight distributing hitch with an antisway bar all the time, as do most of the other people who pull camping trailers with an ST. Many with 1st generation '03 STs! Weight distribution and antisway is reccomeded in the owners manual...;)

I looked at the '07s when they came out, but all of the ones around here had the class II hitch on them, even the V8s! That's why I kept mine for the time being...

Last edited by a moderator:
ChrisT,

I think it's ridiculous that the V8 ST's come standard with a class II hitch to begin with. If you're going for a V8 - with a hitch, you obviously want to tow somethin. It's MUCH EASIER to get a class III --> Class II converter than the other way around. Besides, A class III hitch can ALWAYS tow what a class II is rated for - but - NOT the other way around.

Just seems like common sense to me.

Totally agree Jimmy, I think Ford views the Class II as a low cost alternative in an attempt to soften the heavy sticker price. These lil trucks aint cheap...

Most people will use the Class II hitch for a bike rack.

Then they can sell you the Class III/IV hitch as an option.

Kinda like windows giving you Outlook Express as an email program. It works for the average user, but those that know better, know it sucks.

Tom

I agree too that it's stupid for Ford to put a Class II hitch on at all... The standard, unless you have a tow rating problem which is not the case here, is the Class III/IV hitch. Look in most RV or trailer shops, and you will see mostly 2" receivers... The class IIs are the exceptions. And now that they are an intregal part of the frame and can not be easily replaced, why would Ford ever put a Class II on the new STs?:wacko: I continue to see them though on many of the STs on the lots around here, and I think that's one of the reasons they are still on the lot.!

Last edited by a moderator:
Even my bike rack uses a 2" receiver. I suppose a Class II is okay for maybe half the owners who actually tow, good for a jetski or pop-up or utility trailer, but why bother? Just use a bumper ball for that. Or does the '07+ not have a hole for a bumper ball?

JohnnyO,

The 07s have an integrated hitch welded into the frame. No bumper ball at all. That's where the initial problem begins.

(Details in the 1st post above)

IMO, the cost difference will not affect a Trac buyer. They need to make the class III/IV Standard. Class II must have been an enviro-bean-counters, Idea...:wacko:

I did a class II to class III/IV changeout on my 2007 this weekend. I still need to change the wiring harness. Is anyone interested in the pictures (yes I remembered to take pics) or installation instructions? I also have the invoices with part numbers and prices.

Does any other manufacturer put a class II hitch on as original equipment? I've seen several SUV's with factory hitches (as in all of that model come that way) and all the one's I remember have class III.

Does any other manufacturer put a class II hitch on as original equipment?

Do any even offer a hitch as standard equipment?

Lack of research on ones part does not constitute a fault of someone else.

I can not think of any manufacturers that GIVE you a Class III hitch as standard equipment.

Do you know anyone that includes a Class II hitch, let alone any hitch as standard equipment. The only one I could think of is the Honda Ridgeline.

Tom

The only one that comes immediately to mind is the Chevy Trailblazer. Every single one of them seems to come with a class III hitch standard.

The only one that comes immediately to mind is the Chevy Trailblazer.

I was able to confirm that. Yes, the Trailblazer does come with...as printed on the website "Trailering equipment includes trailering hitch platform, seven-wire harness, CHMSL wire and heavy-duty flasher".

I never liked the standard Class II hitch from the get go, but I also know to look under any vehicle I buy to know if I can swap a hitch myself, or call shops to see what they say.

That small hitch, IMO, is going to hurt Ford in the resale market. The new car market, not so bad, but after the initial sale, yes.

Tom

The main question I have then is this... How much did it save Ford to install a class II hitch instead of a class III hitch? $5? $10? If they insist on welding it in as part of the frame, at least make it stronger than necessary so no one has to spend large amounts of money to make the hitch useful!

After all, it's easy to adapt from a class III to a class II. It's major work with a welder to go the other way. Bad call on Ford's part. Bad Ford! Bad Ford! No Customer!

I do not know if it is so much how much money they save, but moreso how much extra money they can make by selling the Class III hitch as an option.

That still does not change the fact that an uninformed customer should only blame him/her self on not doing the proper research.

Yes, I do agree it is foolish on Fords part to put such a useless hitch like a Class II hitch as standard equipment. It is just stupid.

Still, do research on what you buy before you buy it. Doing that will save you money and heartaches down the road.

Tom

Latest posts