Class III Hitch Fiasco

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
I wanted to let you all know of an issue I had regarding my new Class III hitch.

I just bought a 2007 Sport Trac V8. It came standard with a Class II hitch. I want to put a Class III hitch and was STUNNED when I found out the cost.

The popular hitch companies, Draw tight, Reese, Hidden Hitch don't even carry them. It's a Ford only part and they charge (are you sitting down), $1,010.00 for the hitch only! More $$ for installation and 7 pin wiring of course. I'm looking at $1,500 (including the brake controller) for something that would cost me $500.00 max on any other vehicle. Ford should be ashamed!

Now, understand that I've towed many trailers in my day and have had 1/2 dozen hitches installed on my trucks over the past 30 years. I'm not new to this by any means. I figured that I would get the truck and have a hitch installed - like I've always done.

Imagine my surprise when I found this out. Apparently, the '07 Sport Tracs have integrated hitches. They are part of the frame and are needed to complete the structural integrity of the new, 400+% stiffer frame. I certainly wish someone at Ford would have told me this when I bought it. There IS an option for a Class III/IV hitch for $295.00 (INCLUDING the 7 pin wiring) at the time of purchase. I told my salesman that I wanted to change the hitch to a class III when I bought it. He said (of course) I should have no problem doing that.

Well, the bad news is in. The Class II hitch is welded to the frame. I have ordered a new Class III hitch had it installed last week They had to cut off the old and weld on the new. Took 'em 4 hours of labor.

Hitch: $1,010.00

Installation: $350.00

Hanging the old Class II hitch on my wall: Priceless

By the way, other than this issue, I LOVE THE TRUCK!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch! I read about the hitch + frame thing on here not to long ago... But WHOA what a wallet r@pe. I'd go back and beat the salesman with the bill taped to a crow bar!

Just curious... what do u tow that required you to go thru all of this?

Not to bust your nuts or anything, but you should NEVER listen to the salesman. Climbing under the truck before even buying would have been the right thing to do. A few phone calls for quotes and you would not be upset about it. You would have gotten the right hitch in the first place.

A salesman will tell you anything to get you to buy. He is the last guy you should ever put any faith into on what he tells you.

Tom

A few months ago I bought a 2004 Focus wagon. No cruise control, which I sort of need, especially since it goes like stink and you're over 80 mph before you know it. Factory cruise is about $300 I think. Dealer checked and found add-on cruise control was $1100. :wacko:

Went to the local ricer and stereo shop, cruise installed was $400. And looking at the install, I don't think they made much money on me.

As Caymen already mentioned, always do your own research/verification and NEVER believe what a salesman says. A single post here would have answered all of your questions and saved you a ton of money. Have you installed your brake controller yet?

I find it hard to believe Ford would have bothered putting a CL II hitch on a Sport Trac. Why would they have 2 different parts to chose from especially when the vehicle can handle CL III towing capacities. How exactly do you know it's a CL II

A couple of reasons that Ford offers both the Class II and III hitch:

1. A V6 model would not have the power rating for a Class III/IV hitch

2. All V8 owners might not require a Class III/IV hitch so it's a lower cost alternative

The very same thing happened to me. Now, I don't think you can have one installed without taking off the bed, doing some welding, and hope that everything is as strong as it was before. In other words, you can buy the hitch for $1010.00 but I don't think it can be installed. Does anyone disagree?

Just Jimmy.....Did you get the Ford Class III/IV hitch or a different one from somewhere else?

I would go after the salesman if it was me. My last car I got him fired and got a new stereo of my choice put in. On my sport trac they lied to me and they wound up giving me a free cargo cage. They shouldn't tell you things that aren't factual. Chewum up spitem out.:lol:

My 07 came with the Class III/IV. Glad it did! I probably would have made the same mistake. Hope it all works well for you.

A couple of reasons that Ford offers both the Class II and III hitch:

1. A V6 model would not have the power rating for a Class III/IV hitch

My '03 with a V6 does fine with about 3800lbs, and I do have the 2" receiver... Pulled about 6000 lbs with it a few times for short distances, and it was struggling a bit...

There are adapters that you can get to go into the smaller receiver that allows it to accept the 2" parts. If you were not planning to pull anything too big, this might be one way to go..

My '03 with a V6 does fine with about 3800lbs, and I do have the 2" receiver... Pulled about 6000 lbs with it a few times for short distances, and it was struggling a bit...

ChrisT, the difference is that the '07 receiver is rated as a Class III/IV. Your '03 does NOT have a class IV rating at all. Class IV gets into weight distributing which your '03 (or any other gen1 ) is not rated for.

Woppy,

I tow a 4,000 lb camper (empty) and add toys to it as well. Max weight of the tow is in the 5,500 lb range - not including anything I put inside the bed or back seat.

Doug, great suggestion and a lot more cost effective as well. For about $45 a person could use this adapter if they are not planning to pull a lot of weight.

Thanks Ken.

Like I said earlier, I'm not new to this towing thing. I made a mistake and just wanted others to learn from it. Trust me, I feel like a bone head for getting caught on this one. Just NEVER ran across a factory welded hitch before.

By the way, I have talked (actually yelled) at the dealer about this and they are reimbursing me $500.00 for my trouble. Better than nothing.

Latest posts