cladding choices

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a white 2003 xlt (see my library). I just purchased a new front bumper on account of the old one lost a fight with a deer going 90 on I-95 (in reality it won cause the deer got creamed).

anyway, im looking to do a whole new paint job on my trac.

my choices are either all white (which could be difficult due to the different texture of the cladding) or white on black (cause i hate the gray)

I was wondering if anyone has pictures of a white on black gen 1 trac

also, what kind of duplicolor should i use? (yes im doing this myself) i bought the ford brand to paint my hoodscoop and it doesnt look like it matches the truck!

thanks for your input.

look under the projects section. infact, i think the member who wrote the project has a white trac and painted his cladding black. looks real sharp too.

Here is my 03 with the painted cladding, No texture shows at all....

Below mine is Paul H white on black, His shows very little texture due to the paint used..., his is an 01 EDIT( Sorry for my junky pics Aparently Paul deleted his library)

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry - for some reason i thought the project ST was white. Anyways, a quick search revealed another members ST - Sal A - with Black Cladding.

[Broken External Image]:

Todd Z

did you airbrush yours? what kind of paint did you use..i dont have access to an airbrush, i was just going to use the duplicolor cans but i cant figure out which white matches the 03 sport trac

I'm sure Todd will chime in, but I read his write up previously. he had his painted at a shop, using a coat of some sort of adhesion improving undercoat, then some special for plastic bumpers black paint.

That white looks really nice. Mines Toreador Red and I'm going to have the cladding on mine painted body color when the paint/body work is done. I'm not real fond of the gray cladding either. I forget who this one belongs to but it is a beauty!

ef5aa58cad790a7c3c9fcb9a2a82ce2f.jpg

ncranchero,

I think that's actually Redfire, not Toreador Red. Looks an awful lot like my Redfire '04.

[Broken External Image]:

I painted mine my self at a body shop using their equipment....

I used 3m plastic parts cleaner, NOT SIMPLE GREEN !!! then used 3m adhesion promoter and 5 coats of PPG single stage Gloss black..... Wet sanded in between and then last coat was 1600 wet and polished to a shine using 3m polishing compound...

Todd Z

ok my question is what color white should i use to match? im not a proffessional painter in any sense, i dont know anything about painting actually..i painted my hood scoop using ford duplicolor and its a completely different white...

ive always wanted the cladding white...i have a guy that might paint it for me because i work on his boat..

The color code is on your door sticker but it's not always as simple as that. PPG, for one, has a variance chart to match colors to by eye. I used to think white was white but after 3 white fords, all different whites, I know different.

I think that's actually Redfire, not Toreador Red. Looks an awful lot like my Redfire '04.

You're probably correct. Mine is a bit darker but it's close enough that I know how I want mine to look. I think the body color cladding and bumpers kind of "pull it all together". Like the looks of your too! Your wheels polished? Nice shot in front of the Ford plant. My grandfather actually worked in the Charlotte assembly plant putting canvas tops on Model T's.

My '01 has a lot of miles and is a 4x2 so I'll probably see how it "fits" me before selling my F150 Super Cab 4x4. I suspect I'll like it a lot and will be looking for a newer 4x4 ST.

If you plan on having it sprayed body color, profesionaly. Not with rattle cans. Take the fuel door off and have an automotive paint supplier match the color.

Fortunately for me we have a paint department at work, :banana:sell PPG and Omni. They use a device called a Profit to match colors.

I believe you would be much happier with a professional job. But the $$$$$ !