Chrysler announces LIFETIME powertrain warranty

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Stanton

Reaction score
Chrysler today leapfrogged every other car maker by extending its powertrain warranty on every new car and truck it sells to the life of the vehicle. The warranty will apply to the entire powertrain including the engine, transmission/transaxle, drive shafts, and axles. The new warranty goes into effect today, July 26, 2007 and applies to all new 2007s that are on the dealer lots as well as 2008 models.

The warranty covers all parts and labor as long as the owner brings the car in to a Chrysler dealer at least once every five years for a free powertrain inspection. Apparently, the only fly in the ointment is that the new warranty applies to the original owner and is not transferable. If the car is sold within the first three years, the warranty reverts to the previous 3 year/36,000 mile coverage for subsequent owners.

So how big a deal is this, exactly? I know some here would probably appreciate something like this on our STs, given the tranny problems experienced in first-gen STs. But what kinds of things aren't typically included in these powertrain warranties that common folk like me might expect to be?

And what do you think the odds are of other vehicle manufacturers jumping on this bandwagon?

Link to the whole story here:

They could offer TWO lifetime powertrain warranties under those

conditions.....average ownership is approx 6 1/2 years....even a KIA

should last that long without major problems!! But then, Chryslers ain't

know for reliable transmissions......remember when they offered free

automatic xmissions years ago....didn't help them then......:wacko:

That sounds like an awesome deal to me, as long as the vehicle prices don't increase so much that they price themselves out of the market. I'm one that purchases vehicles for the long haul so it already sounds attractive for me. Let's face it, the average car needs a new/rebuilt tranny once it's got more than 100K miles on it. More then likely the small print might include requirements for all scheduled powertrain maintenance to be performed by a Chrysler dealer which could get fairly expensive. But without knowing the full details it's hard to accurately say how good a deal this is. But we know one thing, this is a huge step ahead of Fords current powertrain warranty.

Wounder what kind of receipts you will need to keep from maintenance to get it honored..

Todd Z

I applaud Chrysler for doing that. They're trying to build long time commitments to their products. Hope Ford is listening. They have a pretty bad rap toward transmissions also.

I'm looking for a new vehicle in the next couple of months and have given some thought to the Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (4 Dr). This would be an attractive incentive (if I could stand the wind noise and rattles that I suspect would come with the vehicle).

I have been thinking for a year now about selling the Trac and getting a Liberty or Grand Cherokee. I may do so if I change jobs which may be soon. Looks like if I do anything, I've waited for a good time. I'm a good record keeper so I would always have receipts and all. Even if there is some fine print, it's way ahead of what most offer.

As just an average joe with little understanding or following of vehicle manufacturers, vehicle problems etc this sounds like a great deal to me. However, I am interested in seeing responses here from those of you with more knowledge about these things. I am also the type of person who purchases a vehicle for the long term, as long as I like the vehicle. If withing the first year I am comfortable in the vehicle I am likely to keep the vehicle for many years. What exactly are the vehicle makes covered under this, is it just Chrysler or are some others such as Jeep included (they are made by the same correct).

Todd brings up a good point about what type of records you would need to keep in order for it to be honored and of course what type of things would void the warranty. I certainly dont think that you can fault them for making the lifetime warranty transferable, I mean you cant really expect that they are going to cover things forever, I mean what exactly determines the "lifetime of the vehicle", in theory if they made it tranferable 15 -20 years down the road it could be a rust bucket but still being used by some guy that just bought it from the fifth owner for $500. I there a definition of "lifetime" or just as long as someone is using it.

Wounder what kind of receipts you will need to keep from maintenance to get it honored..

The warranty covers all parts and labor as long as the owner brings the car in to a Chrysler dealer at least once every five years for a free powertrain inspection.

It would seem to me that if the owner follows the rules about having the dealer do the inspection, records of that inspection would be in the official records for the VIN kept by Chrysler. Now, of course, it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep copies for yourself as well.

A local Toyota dealer has this:

http://toyotamallofga.reachlocal.net/limited-lifetime-warranty.aspx

I don't know how they can do this and make money.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean you don't know how they make money? They sell a car, they probably sell service to most of those people so that the dealer can't argue about getting maintenance done, and most people probably sell the car before the factory warranty is up anyway.

Chrysler today leapfrogged every other car maker by extending its powertrain warranty on every new car and truck it sells to the life of the vehicle. Note the key words "life of the vehicle."................6 months 3 days 12 hours 15 minutes 14 seconds.

I think this is great, I dont know why some of you seem to bash this idea. A Lifetime warranty on anything automotive is always a good thing.

Today was a great day for the Big Three.

First, Ford breaks a seven quarter trend of red ink, and breaks analysts predictions, to leave 2Q dripping in black ink. Secondly, Chrysler ups the ante and drops this bomb shell on us. And lastly, GM outsold Toyota for the 2Q.

Is Detroit on the upswing? Can they carry this momentum through till the end of the year? The UAW contract talks will play a huge role in that, but whomever wrote off Detroit should better like the taste of crow.

I havent investigated it but on talk radio today, since 2005 model year. It was said that Detroit has had fewer recalls than Toyota..

Actually, Toyota recalled MORE vehicles then they made last year.

That news never made it to the public. Proof that the media is biased to imports. I wonder who is padding who's hand?

Tom

I had no idea on the recalls.... and I am an avid news junkie... proof?

My wife has had (2) different Dodge/Chrysler products since she was 16.... the first... a Spirit. Tranny died in Tulsa. The second... Dynasty (rebadged Spirit)... Tranny died first. Replaced. Then she threw a rod. Engine replaced. Her parents still drive that one.

The interesting thing is now... he grandfather retired from Chrysler along with her uncle. Her cousin still works there. She has a hard time putting money down for a Chrysler product.

Still this warrenty doesn't do me much good as I have a really hard time buying a new vehicle, so unless a dealer were to include it in with a used car warrenty it won't affect my decisions in the near future.

Local Ford dealership started offering lifetime powertrain warranty on new vehicles. Every Ford recommended maintenance has to be performed by them or approved service dept in order for it to be valid.

Latest posts