Chronicles of Narnia

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I saw it with my family (sons are 12 and 9, daughter is 5) on Sunday.

Our two boys have read several of the books with our oldest having read them all.

I thought it was VERY good. I was much more entertained and emotionally involved in this film than any film in quite some time; and it was much better than the last Harry Potter film.

[rant]

I haven't read the books, but understand the C.S. Lewis intended much "Christian allegory and symbolism" in the books, and am noting that many people are refering to this film as "The Christian Harry Potter". Frankly, I find that sad as it is rather devisive. Being a Christian parent who has "allowed" (note the quotes) our kids to read and see the Harry Potter films (many don't) I must say that I think J.K Rowling is no more satan than C.S. Lewis a saint, based on the films anyway. Both films have symbolism and a basic good vs evil theme. Sure, C.S. Lewis may have had an intent to his symbolism, but both have sorcery and witches and unnatural beasts fighting those that are good and righteous, with the good characters faced between doing what is right and what is wrong.

I liked the movie a lot, and I would hope those that may have been "turned off" by the hype that this is a Christian film not use that as an excuse to stay away. Further, I hope those Christians that have boycotted Harry Potter but have gone to see this film will relax a bit and open their minds and then read one of the Rowling books, or see one of the films, as they will be surprised to find they are not that dissimilar.

[/rant]

It's a good film. On a overall entertainment rating and as a family film, I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

TJR

I am a Born Again Chirstian, but I see absolutely no problem with Harry Potter, as long as there is a lesson to go with it. CoN is on the list to rent, but I havn't read the books. I am unsure if the wife has or not. I'm glad to see people that I trust a lot more than some critics or the news media like it. That bodes well.

I'm with you TJR. The kind of "christians" that find Harry Potter a satanic movie quite frankly scare me. They're the ones you expect to read about in the paper that killed their own family because jesus told them to. There's just something wrong with people that can take a childrens movie and turn it into something evil.

I am a Christian and have allowed my daughter to both read and see the Harry Potter and Narnia series of books and movies. She is 13 and is a very bright and discerning young lady who is confident in her faith. As was stated above, the Narnia series was written with Christian symbolism in mind, and C.S. Lewis had other Christian-based writings, so i can understand why some might see it as more "Christian" than the Potter series. As with anything out of Hollywood, let the viewer beware. I enjoyed the movie, and although I certainly could pick out the Christian symbolism, I thought it was an entertaining movie from a "secular" viewpoint as well.

Our neighbors are a unique set of "Christians". Here are some examples:

- Their 11 year old daughter was helping my wife wrap Christmas gifts and offered that her "Catholic friend will be going to hell as she isn't a real Christian and doesn't believe in Jesus the way we do"

- My 12 year old son let their 13 year old son borrow one of his middle-earth, orc type fantasy books. Their dad knocked on our door, brought it back, and gave me a very stern look and said "We don't allow our son to read such trash!", yet they do let him read Narnia and they did take him to the Narnia movie.

- My sister left her husband to move in with a woman several years ago, since then she has remarried a man (hey, I love her dearly, don't judge, but the whole things gives me a perspective on homosexuality as a choice vs. genetics). In discussing homosexuality with my neighbors I offered up this: "The Bible has enough scripture that can be used for or against homosexuality that I choose instead to simply look at Jesus' request that we love each other!". Then they went to the whole "Love the sinner, hate the sin" rhetoric, and the whole discussion was over.

Like the Padre in the movie "Trading Places" said: "Religion is a wonderful thing, taken in moderation!"

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here's my two cents:

My daughter saw the first two Harry Potter movies...she thought they sucked compared to the books. She hasn't asked to see the Chronicles of Narnia, but I suspect she will want the books. She loves the Lord of the RIngs movies and books.

Regarding religion -- Jesus stated: "‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’

This is the first and greatest commandment."

Matthew 22:36–38

I don't see anything about moderation here. :)

Merry Christmas!

I must say that I think J.K Rowling is no more satan than C.S. Lewis a saint

Amen to that. I know many people who have talked about the writings of Lewis (not just his Narnia kiddie fare, but his adult-oriented fare as well, like the Screwtape Letters), who have revered him as if he were a saint, but have then done a little research into the far-from-the-norm way Lewis lived his life (see the movie "Shadowlands" for more), that have suddenly come to a far different opinion of him...

FYI, haven't seen the movie yet--but I intend to. I've read the books many times, although not in several years, and I can honestly say that not once did I ever see it as a Christian allegory. Then again, the last time I read the books was when I was 13...

Saw the movie last week, thought it was great.

The "Christian allegory and symbolism" was very obvious, the whole Aslan taking the punishment for the sons of Adam and the daughters of Eve was quite true to the book (either book, take your pick).

edit: thanks Bill

Hal--"Absalom": Are you meaning Aslan? If so, I'm not trying to nitpick your spelling--I'm just wanting to make sure that I'm understading your intent properly.

Bill you are correct,.

Guess we could write that off as a brain fart.

Thanks,

Hal <><<

SPOILERS:

Yeah, Hal, if you couldn't see that Aslan was both martyr and savior and the symbol of Christ then I guess you would have to be sleeping. But Santa Claus as an "arms dealer", well that was an interesting twist.

TJR

I read CoN about 20 years ago in 5th grade... Catholic school. Only book I can remember reading other then text books. I never realized being religious meant you couldn't have an imagination too

jlevin75, it seems that to many Christians the whole act of getting caught up in a fictional world with fictional characters that perform magic and miraculous deeds seems to "threaten" their belief system in which only Jesus can do such things. Others claim Harry Potter has reached idol status among many children and adults. Even others claim Harry Potter is devil-worship in disguise (before Harry Potter it was Dungeons and Dragons).

You say you "never realized being religious meant you couldn't have an imagination too", but I ask, have you witnessed the opinions I describe?

TJR

TJR, I've only witnessed by reading about it here, more specifally from reading about your neighbors. I realize they may not be the norm, but their close mindedness isa little scarey. Reminds me of the town in the movie Footloose. I have 2 close friends who are Sunday school teachers and very active in the church besides that. They both have kids who love Harry Potter both the books and movies.

I believe in god and I also believe in free thought, just because you enjoy the entertainment value of a book\movie should not make you a bad christian.

Now I do believe that being raised catholic and attending catholic school and church on Sundays (against my will) helped to shape my sense of right and wrong, ALONG with reinforcement by my family (read punishment for being bad).

Movies\books are always filled with symbolism fueled by the writer's belief system.

Tom I think you and I are on the same page about this, everything in moderation (wasn't that in the bible somewhere too?). religion, unions. etc.

JLevin, you live in Clifton, NJ, whereas I am much closer to the buckle of the Bible belt here in Southeastern, PA. That's the only way I can explain it. I never saw this type of zealot when I lived in NY but around here I see them often. My 12yo son also loves Sci-Fi and wanted to invite a friend to see iRobot with him for his birthday. His parents wouldn't let the kid go because it had violence against robots, and robots getting killed. The kid was 13. M'kay!

TJR

TJR, JLevin, I see them all the time, in various forms. Some won't allow Harry Potter because it's "witchcraft", but see no problem with the Narnia tales. Others are against both, because of similar beliefs. It even cuts close to home--my sister and brother-in-law will let their kids read and see Narnia, but not only is Harry Potter out, but even Santa Claus is banned. (And they're far from alone.)

JLevin, if you never witness this, either I envy your neighborhood, or I suggest you get out more. :)

Yeah, some fundie Christians boycott Santa because he competes too much with Jesus and the message and reason for the holiday. Kinda like the original South Park with the "fight to the death" between Jesus and Santa Claus.

Latest posts