CEL w/ battery light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Rutt

Reaction score
The other morning I went out and started up the ST to warm it up and turn on the defroster to loosen up the slush/ice mix on the windshield.I went out pushed the crud off and got in to leave for work. When I got in I noticed the battery light and CEL light were on. I turned off the ignition and restarted it and pulled out of the drive.Went to the stop sign and the lights came back on.Shut it off,restarted it and the lights have stayed off .

The battery guage was where it usually is.I only noticed that after it was running without the warning lights.I can't even say that it ran rough or lost power because it was rather icy and I hadn't put in 4 wheel drive yet so my wheels did spin a bit going up the hill to the stop sign.

The battery is 5 years old but has been starting fine even with the very cold temps here in the northeast.

Is it possible the belt slipped a bit and caused the lights?

Thanks,Mark

Mark, I think the alternator regulator may have hung up a bit from the cold....

Keep an eye on it....

Also a 5 year old batt is getting on borrowed time...

Todd Z

Have the battery checked out, before the alternator gets damaged. DW's 92 Caravan with a 6 year old battery did the same, CEL came on, caused by the failed alternator. Alternator failed trying to charge the battery which, I guess, would not accept a charge anymore. The only time I drive that vehicle is when there is something wrong with it. :D:D