Broken pinon shaft locking bolt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Post pics ...

Upload the pictures from your device (PC, laptop, phone, etc.) to your member library and then link to them from within a post (select the "image" icon below, the fifth one, and paste the link between the "
" in the body of the post). Like this (I added a space, so that the link would show):

[ img]http://www.mysporttrac.com/~library/10521/Temp/PinionBoltDrill.jpg[/img]

Ok, so I got the rear end torn apart now.

All, or all the parts I could think of, are ordered.

The exception being the carrier and the pinion shaft and those are a trip to the local dealer.

The Dremel was perfect. I used 3 blades and you have to cut both sides of the shaft as the bolt does pass through it.

You can see about where it broke off

[Broken External Image]:

This is the new and the broken part that came off.

[Broken External Image]:

This is the new bolt lined up showing that both sides need to be cut.

[Broken External Image]:

Both sides cut, and the shaft out. THANK GOD!

[Broken External Image]:

carrier out

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

and the axles

Drivers side with the leaky seal

[Broken External Image]:

and passenger side

[Broken External Image]:

Hey, you're like a freakin' surgeon. Nice pics! I see what you mean about the minimal clearance on the ring gear side.

I looked but I couldn't find the YouTube of the guy that did the dremel cuts just like you did but I remember that he used his carrier with the cuts and said it worked without a problem. But then again, for how long is the million dollar question. You don't need the pinion shaft getting sloppy in the hole as time goes on.

Your axle shaft looks to be OK as far as I can see in the pic. It would probably be a good idea to replace that race/bearing on the drivers side. Your rear end fluid may require friction modifier additive when you're buckling it up. I needed it in my '01.

Looks like you'll be cranking that puppy down the road by next weekend.

I was worried that bearing had worn some too but I couldn't feel anything.

However, just to be safe and because I'm in it, I ordered wheel seals, wheel bearings, differential bearings, a new pinion seal as mine is dripping and a new cover because mine is rusted pretty good on the outside. The only bearing I'm not replacing is the pinion bearing, because I don't have anyway to press that on and the crush sleeve . I don't want to mess them up.

I'm also doing the brakes, front -rear - parking.

I used the Advance Auto promo codes and broke the order down into smaller orders to use it a few times. Got everything for $132.

I wish Ford had promo codes for later, thats going to be a pricier shopping trip.

I didn't realize my phone's pictures were so big. I scaled them down to 30% too. I'll reduce them some more next time so they won't be so ginormous.

Ouch! AAP for parts?

I would stick with premium brand name parts like Timken or Motorcraft for the bearings and seals. Rock Auto carries these brands and has great prices with fast shipping. There's a 5% discount code out there for Rock Auto.

Definitely Ford parts for differential.

Well I finally got it all together again.

A long, busy week of work didn't give me any time until today.

It's all put back together and running great.

I'm giving myself a little break before I get into the rest of the drivetrain after all the hassles I ran into along the way on this one.

I need a couple easy ones for a few days lol.

Thanks for all the help!

Good to hear you got it done and it's working good. I agree, you deserve a break after that surprise.

Now I can get changed out of my cheerleading skirt. The tights were squishing my Gulliver!