broken door handle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Hasledalen 2

Reaction score
My passenger doorhandle (exterior) is broken, it looks like two rivits on the outside behind the handle, do i remove these to remove the handle? Has anyone also had this problem? My trac is estate green and i will need to either find a prepainted one or a black one and get it painted, does anyone know if ford made these already painted from the factory as a buyable part??? :(

Yup, gotta remove those two rivets to get the handle off. Also gotta disconnect the rod connecting it to the latch. Luckily, the rivets are fairly soft metal and are easily drilled. Dunno 'bout the parts. I've got two black handles somewhere..not sure where though.

It isn't too bad. Drilling them out is pretty easy, and the clip that connects the metal rod to the latch is easy enough to unclip, but takes a bit of snaking to get it out the hole. I'm not sure how the new handle from Ford comes, with the metal rod and clip or not.

Overall, it isn't that it is a difficult project, it just takes a little bit of time and is frustrating to have to do in the first place. Broken exterior handles is a bit inconvenient.

Latest posts