Best online college for military credits?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Loo

Reaction score
Hi all,

With the implementation of the new Post 9-11 GI bill (I'm eligible for 60%) and the use of my company's tuition reimbursement, I think I'll be able to get my degree for free.

I'm considering a degree in Computer Information Systems.

I'm looking to get the most "free" credits for my military training/experience that I can in order to expedite the process. FYI, I'm a retired CTT1, so the facility that gives the most credits for Navy experience would be preferable.

Can anyone recommend a good online college/university for this? I'm looking at Columbia College; I was steered there from the Navy Knowledge Online site.

Thanks in advance,

Bo

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a friend who got his BS degree in Computer Science from Columbia taking the classes online. He liked it and it was fast....He even went to New York for the graduation.

My daughter got her BA degree Accounting from the University of Phoenix taking all online classes. She had taken some classes in Accounting at a local Jr. Colleage about 20 years ago, but still completed her degree in only about 1 year.

...Those are the two metter known and most reputable online universities.

...Rich

If you check with the base education office they can steer you in the right direction and tell you what schools will give you credit for your rate and A and C schools. Good luck. Tim

Tim,

Looking at Bo's profile, it says that he hails from Florida's Space Coast. So the nearest Navy College Office would be up at NAS Jacksonville/NS Mayport, or down at Key West. Neither are close enough for him, and if I remember correctly, they primarily provide services to active duty personnel and not retirees.

Bo,

You started off right by going to the NKO site. Did you get a copy of your SMART transcripts to see what recommended credits you have? How many credits you actually receive will depend upon both the school and program that you choose. Remember, the credits on the SMART transcript are recommended, and any school can accept or deny them at their discretion. Also, being that you were a CT, weren't most of your schools classified? If so, I'm not sure how much credit you'll be able to get from them. The SMART will tell for sure.

I'm a retired ET1. While in the USN, I got a AA in Electronics Technology from University of Phoenix. Just prior to retirement, I got my BS from Excelsior College, which was recommended to me by the Navy College Office in Norfolk. I did everything with Excelsior on line. They work really well with military folks, so I'd recommend checking them out.

Nice to know there are other Navy Vets out there. I was active duty Navy for 7 years and now I'm in the reserves. I was an AT3 now I'm MN3. I'm also looking to go to school using the Post 9-11 GI Bill. But I'm up here in Michigan and hoping that I can use as many of my military credits as posible.

I am just finishing up my last two classes for my bachelors degree. I have done the last three years online at Baker College. I know many of my online classmates have been in the military. Check out the website:

The University of Phoenix website is a nightmare. I was is their MBA program. I build websites for a living and had to drop my first course because I couldn't find things I needed to complete my assignments. After two weeks of wasting days looking for stuff that should be in obvious places, I just gave up. I won't go back there.

I went with Saint Leo University out of Florida. They were established in the late 1800's.

Did a military assessment and I got 72 credits worth applied to my degree.

750 dollars a class. And with the New GI Bill virtually any military member is eligible.

Check in to Florida Institute of Technology. A VERY good school located in Melbourne, FL and I'm pretty sure they accept military credits.

And if you are looking strictly for online coursework, Capella University is not bad either. They offer a lot in the technological field.

Latest posts