barge threatens to destroy pier

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great !!!! NOW I will never get that shipment i was waiting for !!!!!!

Todd Z

Crazy. I sent this off to my family in Richmond, Va. I was living there when Hurricane Isabelle ran through. Crazy weather.

I have been involved with this type of issue before.

The waters were ruff enough no tug would come to the barge. We ended up get several large pieces of equipment and running lines from the barge to the various pieces of equipment. Once things were all equally tight, we pretty much just stood watch. As the barge was pretty well beached, it never really moved once we had it anchored via the on beach equipment..

The "equipment" wouldn't have made much of a difference if a barge that size started moving. All you can do is keep it from reaching the breakover point. If it ever gets loose, it's gone.

Water has some amazing power, especially when you have such a large area to work on. I forget the actual numbers, but when Katrina went through New Orleans and parts of Mississippi, it took out several sections of a concrete bridge, beams and all. The water rose up and simply lifted the sections free of the supports, depositing them on the bottom of the sea. The pressure required was quite small, like 3 or 4 psi.

Dreman,

It was not our intention to pull the thing ashore, just keep it beach as it presently was. It was moving in the direction of the pier at a very slow but consistent rate. By attaching the barge to the equipment it did literally stop the barge from further movement.

Once the storm was over, commercial salvage pulled it off. Which was a HUGE task in itself. They have to inject water under the barge to break it free from the beach.