Bad pulley bearing?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Schepper

Reaction score
So while driving last night I noticed a pretty good wail from the serpentine belt on my engine past 3,000 rpm, no biggie, I went and got a new belt and put it on today. Well the wail and squell are now more prevelant which has be thinking bad idler pulley bearings.

Has anyone experienced similiar issues? I tried a search but to no avail. Funds are tight so I would like to try and get this fixed cheap and ez. (hope its not the ac :wacko:)

Try spraying a little lubricant on the bearing. Be careful not to get any on the belt. If that is the problem, it will shut up for a short time. If not, it may be a different pulley.

Good luck Ed

I have actually taken them apart, Remove the dust boot on the bearing and pressed in grease, Re assembled and your done !!!!

Just takes a careful hand to remove the boot, you damage it, it is trash,.,.

Todd Z

Dont know about the trac. I replaced the idler on my '94 'stang for $7 from O'reilys. The price suprised me. The gates belt was $40.

I would replace it. Last time I had a squeal on mine, it fell apart before I had the chance to replace it. Less than 1 day from the time I noticed the noise to it falling apart.

I'm going to do the tensioner and alt pulleys aswell.

I presume you mean the alternator bearings. These are located in the front housing and rear housings. If you have a local rebuilder they should charge about $40 to change these bearings. Worth the money since you make break the front housing trying to remove the bearing.