Back from our Mini Vacation.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Friends,

Mom, Dad, Theresa, and myself just returned home from a "mini" vacation to Michigan.

Wednesday we headed up to Michigan. We had my parents 1998 34' Coachman Catalina Class A motorhome with my 16' Trailer on the back with my sisters Taurus on top of the trailer. Total length was about 50' long.

We had a great time. We spent thursday at the Henry Ford museum and took a tour of the Rouge plant. Friday, we spent the day at Greenfield Village.

The Rouge tour was breathtaking. At one time, there were 100,000 people employed at that plant. Raw materials went in one side, iron ore, sand, coal, etc. and out the other, cars came out. They talked about the history of the plant. The battle at the overpass when the UAW recruters and the security at the Rouge plant had a battle to fight the union. Up to today. We got to see some F-150's being built.

Henry Ford Museum was really nice. The Rosa Parks bus, Lincoln's chair that he was assionated in, the Kenedy limo where he was assionated, Regaen's limo, Henry's quadracycle, the Spirit of St. Louis, and other priceless historical artifacts.

The best thing of all is you were allowed to take photo's inside the museum.

Greenfield Village was very cool. For $10.00, you could buy an unlimited pass to ride in horse drawn carriages, Model T's, A real steam locomotive, a real steam paddle boat, old busses, and a 1914 carosel. Well worth the money.

Food and drinks were affordable. For $2.25, you could buy a soda pop and get free refills all day. Something you never see at any tourist attraction. The food was a little high, but not as high as you would expect from a tourist attraction.

If anyone here is looking for a nice little vacation, seriously consider Dearborn's Henry Ford Museum, Rouge plant, and Greenfield Village. You wont be sorry.

Tom

Tom, glad you had a fun and safe trip. I'd love to check it out. amature history buff and I love that stuff. Glad you got to go with your folks too, used to drive me nuts but now as we all get older, start to realize how special and rare things like that are. Hope you god some good mementos, seems like that would be the place to pick some cool ones up. wife and I are gonna try to rent a small motorhome at the end of summer for a grand canyon trip, its kind of our retierment dream so we'll see. welcome home.

teddy,

Motorhomes are too expensive to rent. It is like $150.00/day plus mileage. Rent a trailer like an Aliner or something. They are like $350.00/week and no mileage charge. You can zip in and out of traffic without a problem.

Just a suggestion.

Tom

Sounds like a great trip. I'd like to try that one next year. All of my vacation days are used or spoken for this year.

Man! That brings back memories of my trips with my parents in the 70s. Dad would drive 16 hrs a day from San Diego to Lexington, KY. Only took three days (he drove like a madman -- He had a 1972 Chevy Nova with a 350 V-8), and that was back when US 66 was still the main road, because there were huge sections of the interstates still under construction or just in the planning stages. Those crazy detours through those little towns sucked. :(

Once, I vaguely remember us stopping about 5 minutes on the rim of the grand canyon. We drove a couple of hours out of our way to see that, the petrified forest and the painted desert. I think Mom made him go there, because we took about five pictures, and then he hustled us back into the car. :D

I guess going on vacation with your parents in an RV isn't too bad though. At least you don't have to convince your dad to stop to let you pee. :lol:

Nope. We just get up and go to the bathroom. Heck, if there is an impending storm and we are trying to get out of the mountains, mom would make some sandwiches and we would eat on the road.

Been vacationing in an RV for many years.

Tom

Tom,

Good to hear that you had a good time on your trip to Michigan! I work right across the street at Ford. I've been to the village and museum many times during my childhood. My Grandfather (my mom's dad) was one of I believe 8 people who fabricated the bulletproof top for the limo that JFK was assasinated in. I have a few pics of my grandfather in the car before it was shipped to the White House for use by JFK.

Joe

Joe Zatyko,

That's cool about your Grandfather. Can you post the pictures?

Latest posts