Automatic Tailgate?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbakon

Reaction score
Since the lever lift is no longer available and never was for the Gen2, I am still looking for a no-hands way of opening my bed.

I came across a member on an F150 forum that had installed solenoids, actuators, etc. but didn't really have a project put together.

I did some searching and found a very similar mod on a Tundra and luckily he had thrown together a DIY (link below).

Obviously this DIY is tailored to a Tundra and won't work for the Sport Trac, but at least it covers the overall strategy & approach.

This project combined with the simple install of a product like dee zee tailgate assist should give me a 100% hands-free option.

Has anyone on this site attempted this mod, specifically on a Gen2?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should not be that hard to get some metal and the pistons and make your own..

Todd Z

Link fixed

Right Todd, I don't suspect it would be too difficult.

Personally, I have little to no experience with the mechanics of this type of mod, but I'm willing to learn through experimentation.

If I can't find a Sport Trac owner with this mod, I'd be happy to volunteer myself as the guinea pig and report back.

Ill take any recommendations on material, material specs, positioning, wiring, etc.

Its downloading now, but I have always thought of a combination of pistons, and cables. Cables like those currently on the trac pulled by pistons to closed, and then possibly another pistong that locks in the gate like those found on the commercial dump trucks to lock thier gate down during transport.

I will look at what they have done, and see what can be used.

Edit - Well, they show how to wire it and set up the locking / unlocking. That would work on ours too, not much different. Just don't know how its set to auto open. will attach a rough idea I had while back later, I am in the office and don't have access to scanner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tundra tailgates are made out of old tin cans. They are very light and flimsy. SportTrac is going to need HUGE pistons and very high pressure to accomplish the same thing.

Not really, our tailgates have a spring assist that makes them seem lighter. I never noticed it really until I went to lift a Silverado tailgate and did a double-take.

I figure if you get the leverage right, they'll lift up real easy.

I think someone did a project on an auto pop lock already...

<a href="http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/projects.asp?VIEW=330&WRENCHES=3&PageHeader="> Cheap Pop Lock</a>

<a href="http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/projects.asp?VIEW=120&WRENCHES=3&PageHeader="> Pop Lock 2</a>

Dre,

No assist on the GEN 1 ST at all.... Also I don't think the gen 2 either....

The bed cover on the gen2 has an assist..

Todd Z