Auto features that are becoming obsolete

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On some cars now, you're lucky to even GET a spare tire. Manufacturers are starting to put a small compressor with a can of Fix-A-Flat. Too bad Fix-A-Flat can ruin an alloy wheel.

One obvious one especially here on the ST website...

"Anyone here have an ashtray in there ST?"

Hey I don't smoke but it makes a good cash storage draw.

And no I don't consider the cup holder insert (updated beanbag ashtray) with lid a built in ashtray. <lol>

How about:

Separate Hi / Lo sealed beam headlights...

Pull knobs to open vents...

Being able to open the hood without releasing it in the car first...

Antennas that would extend in sections...

Front Drum brakes...

(I have all of these on my 61 Sunliner!)

Ad as for pickups, I owned a Ford Courier for a short time...

I bought my first vehicle when I was 16. It was an F100 with an inline 6, 3 speed column shift, manual steering, manual brakes, no factory radio and best of all... vacuum wipers. When you accelerate the wipers stopped. How is it today you ask? Exactly the same and sitting snuggly in my garage.

No. 10: Six-passenger, rear-wheel-drive, body-on-frame cars

This used to be the way all cars were made: You built a frame, attached the engine and transmission, slapped on the body and off you went. There was a front bench to carry Mom, Dad and one child, and a rear bench for Grandma, Grandpa and the other child. No more. Only the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car meet all these criteria now.

Except for Crown Vic police cars, I think those three are not made any more.

Bob C

I do remember the Olds Vista Cruiser. I had one. It was a good family car until it turned into

a burned out crispy critter, lol

sapdhn

It was the 56 and 57 Chevy's that had the gas fill behind (or near) the tail light. I had one of those too. It was a 57 wagon (not a Nomad) That was a neat work car. It was a V8 with a 3-speed stick shift.

This thread sure has brought memories of all the old features of older cars. :)

Regarding #5, my first new car was a 1962 Olds Starfire. For those who dont' remember it, it was a full size sporty 2-door with a lot of luxury features. High end but not quite in the model 98 range. I bought it new for $4000 plus taxes and license. That was a big old heavy car but it sure was FAST. I raced it some (drag) and even took it to the NHRA Winter Nationals. Only came in seconds though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read someplace, Car & Driver maybe, that power windows actually weigh less than crank windows and as such they improve fuel economy.

JohnnyO: "I read someplace, Car & Driver maybe, that power windows actually weigh less than crank windows and as such they improve fuel economy."

I read that, too, and I think it was in Car and Driver. One convenience that actually saves gas (probably not much, though)!

1. Automatic Parking Brake Release

2. Glove Compartment Light

3. Quadraphonic 8 Track Player (hee-hee) :unsure:

My "hand me down" first car was a '65 T-Bird Landau with every "useless" feature one could imagine, including the 8 track player. Probably the worst music format ever developed. (This was prior to the "state of the art" cassette player) The OEM player wasn't "Quad". I had to add an aftermarket Pioneer KP Series "under dash" CD-4 player and two more "surface mount" speakers to get the "sixties" version of "surround sound". Peace, Man.

Didn't one of those old Tbird models have a swing 'away' steering wheel? One that would swing sideways to allow a more 'convenient' way to enter and exit the drivers seat? ;)

My first car- a '67 Chevy Impala 283 V8 had a 2-speed PowerGlide auto transmission.

I move that in-dash navigation systems be extinct soon. $2000 option that works 1/4 as good as the $200 Garman you can get on EBay.

Uncle_Bob,

I think the sliding steering column was a "convenience" feature to make your date more

"comfortable" at the drive-in theater. As if the crescent shaped "couch" in the back weren't big

enough! I think the "747 dashboard" with TMI and the "power antenna" sold a few of these "sleds".

:rolleyes:

Latest posts