Auto features that are becoming obsolete

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Disappearing Automotive Features provided by Cars.com

By Bill Jackson

You probably remember them maybe fondly, maybe not. The eight-track player. Manual windows. Locks you actually had to lift. As cars get more technically advanced, many of the features we once knew are heading to the dustbin of history.

After reviewing Cars.com's vast data banks and scouring through automaker press kits, we've come up with a list of once-common features now on the way out.

No. 1: Crank windows

These can still be found in entry-level vehicles, but as soon as you step up from the least-expensive vehicle in an automaker's lineup, they disappear. Holding a button to raise a window is easier and probably safer when you're pulling away from a tollbooth or drive-through window.

No. 2: Cassette-tape decks

Yes, you can still find them. Many European carmakers still insist on them, and some people have stuff on tape they can't transfer to a CD for whatever reason. But, really, the car world today is one of CDs and MP3s and that sounds just fine to us.

No. 3: Keys/locks/any mechanical means of getting into your car

We're a nation of fobs these days. Press the button, unlock the driver's door. Press it again, unlock all the doors. If you're really high-end, you don't even know what a key is because of your fob that talks to the car and unlocks the door as you approach. A start button rids you of the trouble of putting a key in the ignition and turning it.

No. 4: Lap-only seat belts for the center rear seat

This one is a marked improvement as far as safety is concerned. Most cars now provide the person sitting in the most uncomfortable seat in the car the same three-point belt the other passengers enjoy. Sure, you could find a car that still offers a lap-only seat belt back there, but why would you want to?

No. 5: Cars priced less than $13,000

Yes, everything is getting more expensive; that's just how the world works. If you want all the latest safety features and amenities, it's going to cost you. Go shopping and it may appear many automakers offer cars less than $13,000, but it's usually just one stripped-down model.

No. 6: 85-mph speedometers

They say optimism is a virtue, and it shows in the car world. Even econoboxes that could probably only shimmy their way to 100 mph with the help of a hill, a tailwind and a brave driver have speedometers that go to 120. (Sigh.) Just as some drivers should not be allowed to drive, some cars should not be allowed anywhere over the posted speed limit ... in a school zone. Rectangular speedometers that span the entire instrument cluster have also gone away, but you never know; they might still return one day.

No. 7: Motorized antennas

These are so rare you might have to ask your parents about them. In many higher-end cars of the 1970s and '80s, a motor would extend the car's antenna to better receive radio broadcasts, then retract it later. That meant drivers didn't have to either manually extend the antenna or just leave it up. Hmm. This from the generation that walked to school, worked three jobs and taught themselves to read on the back of a shovel. Manually extending an antenna must be tougher than it sounds.

No. 8: Three-speed automatic transmissions

Three on the tree means nothing to kids now, and it's not because carmakers have moved the gearshift from the steering column. Three-speed transmissions are at least one speed too slow for nearly all of today's cars. If the current trend toward five- and six-speed transmissions continues, we'll soon be saying the same thing about four-speed models.

No. 9: True compact pickup trucks

Not only are things getting more expensive, they're getting bigger as well. Just as houses are McMansions and drivers are increasingly ahem husky, the small pickup of ages past is expanding to what could legitimately be called midsize.

No. 10: Six-passenger, rear-wheel-drive, body-on-frame cars

This used to be the way all cars were made: You built a frame, attached the engine and transmission, slapped on the body and off you went. There was a front bench to carry Mom, Dad and one child, and a rear bench for Grandma, Grandpa and the other child. No more. Only the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car meet all these criteria now. Front bench seats in particular are going the way of the dodo; Buick joins Ford and Lincoln as one of few automakers to put them in their cars. Larger SUVs and trucks are the best bet these days if you really want a front bench.

Honorable mention

These didn't make the list because they're either taking a long time to die off or we just don't miss them:

Trunk releases in the glove box

Full-size spare tires

Floor-mounted headlight dimmer switches

Completely manual mirrors

Good list! Let's see, are there any of these that I miss?

I would miss #3 if it completely disappeared. Although I rarely use my key to get into either of my vehicles, it's nice to have as a backup. And to me, the idea of push-button starting is a step backward, not forward. My '51 Ford Country Squire (which I did <I>NOT</I> buy new, thank you!) had push-button start.

#5: I can remember the base Ford Pinto being advertised for "less than $2,000". It was $1,995. Nowadays, you probably wouldn't want a sub-$13,000 car, but all the government-mandated features on all new cars help to keep the price up. And theoretically, the gas tank doesn't explode when it's hit from the rear.

#9 - I've been saying this for years. The Dodge Dakota is a good/bad example of the trend. Why bother making a separate model that's a 9/10ths scale of the full-size truck? Only the ancient Ford Ranger and its Mazda derivative still remain true to the small-pickup genre. (Hint to Ford: Keep the Ranger, redesign it from the ground up -- it's getting old -- but keep it small.)

I actually do miss the floor-mounted high beam switch. There are circumstances -- during a turn, for example -- when it's easier to hit the floor switch than to grab the turn-signal stalk.

No. 3 hits home for me. On my Lexus I just put the fob in my pocket. When I reach for the door handle the doors automatically unlock and all I have to do to start the car is put my foot on the brake and push a button. When I get out of the car there is a small button on the outside of the door handle that I push and all the doors lock. Actually I think this keyless thing is my favorite part of the car, it wasn't an option either the car comes that way

Don't most if not all Trucks and SUV's still come w/ a full size Spare? I thought baby spares were only on cars now?

What about Gas Cap behind the rear License Plates? Or Dual Gas Tanks? I miss the Dual Gas Tank on My F-150.

I agree with Jim J and I1Tech, the use of a key to get in your car is quickly fading. My Mercedes only has one key lock on the drivers door. And instead of a Key with a built in remote, my care has a remote that plugs into the ignition and the only key is an emergency access to your vehicle if the electrical system goes dead.

I also have the feature that locks all the doors and closes all the windows and the sun roof, or I cann open all the doors, windows and sunroof with one button. I don't use that very often, but on a hot Texas summer day, that sure gets the heat out fast.

...Richard

I miss the trunk button. But that's ok. I wired in my own.

I miss the full size spare.

And I miss the motorized antenna... I would keep it down all the time, since I only use the car computer for music most of the time.

I could go on about things I miss from the ST, like the temp/compass display, adjustable seatbelt loop on the B-pillar, and the power down back window (although that would be pretty difficult in a Mustang, but the airflow was nice)

Last edited by a moderator:
On the other side of the coin........the most customer-used feature is now the forward/reverse track on the redundant audio controls on the steering wheel. Need a more robust/durable switch.

Switch engineers are workin on it.

No. 9: True compact pickup trucks

Not only are things getting more expensive, they're getting bigger as well. Just as houses are McMansions and drivers are increasingly ahem husky, the small pickup of ages past is expanding to what could legitimately be called midsize.

False. The Ford Ranger has been extended another few model years (was supposed to get killed in 08MY).

Well,

- I miss the hand crank

- I miss the gravity fuel tank.== Had to back up the hill...

- Hand operated Wipers

- Had to light a Oil lamp on the car it night. So people could see it....

- NO HEAT - only what came off the motor...

LOL

Just think how far we have come......

#9 - I've been saying this for years. The Dodge Dakota is a good/bad example of the trend. Why bother making a separate model that's a 9/10ths scale of the full-size truck? Only the ancient Ford Ranger and its Mazda derivative still remain true to the small-pickup genre. (Hint to Ford: Keep the Ranger, redesign it from the ground up -- it's getting old -- but keep it small.)

I guess that makes the Gen 1 ST's ancient too

RJ,

The Ranger is pretty big to be called a small pickup, IMHO (and what I think the author was trying to say). When I think small pickup I think Chevy Luv, Isuzu P'up. Those things were small. Of course, this is where someone pulls out the actual dimensions of the Luv, P'up and Ranger and proves me wrong (challenge).

One that didn't make the list: Manual tilt rearview mirror.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts