Any wood turners here?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Barber

Reaction score
been at it for years, very satisfying hobby, pool cues, badger shaving brushes, custom fishing rod handles and grips, mostly use exotic woods, such as Lignum vitae,Ebony etc.

When I can find it, I love to use Ivory as below.

As the title says:We have any wood turners on MYST?

[Broken External Image]:

Often thought about trying it. I do a lot of small stuff with stainless. Lathe and Milling machine. Might just try it one of these days. Nice looking work.

They sell well, price depends on the grade of the badger knot and the materials used.

Ivory is near impossible to get these days.

Real Lignum and grade a Ebony is a bear to turn, but they will last a lifetime.

Like any hardwood, if you can turn it green its great to work with. I rough out green wood, seal it, and then finish it after it dries. You won't find much Lignum green tho since it is protected in most areas. Try ivory nuts if you get a chance.

It also makes a big difference if you are scraping or shearing the wood. Buy good tools and keep them super sharp. If you can reverse the spin sanding and polishing giver greater results.

Keep the chips flying.

Redfish, That why I went to the darkside a couple years ago,Carbide.

If it's less than 91 rockwell,I can turn it:)[Broken External Image]:

I have made a number of pens this way. Very satisfying when you get one done...they look great. Everyone always asks "Where did you get that pen" and you can respond "I made it!"

Bill, nice job on the shaving brushes. Here's my old Walker-Tuner lathe. Someone was throwing it away and a friend asked if I wanted it. It was hand painted flat green at the time. So I sandblasted it and repainted it, that was 25/30 yrs ago. A couple of bats that I made for my son when he played little league.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

nice gary, good old american steel, you cannot buy a lathe like them anymore new for less than major bux.

Just rebuilt the headstock in mine, rockwell 46-450, 800 LBs of rock steady lathe.[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts