Any one listen to Howard Stern?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Nelson. I have a relatively short commute now but it is commercial free the whole way.

Satellite radio reminds of when cable was just beginning. No one in their right mind was going to pay for TV programing when over the air was free.

Some of our younger members probably do not remeber a time when there was only ABC/CBS/NBC.

How many of us have antennas on their roof tops now ? I have one but it is to pick up local OTA HD channels.

Early on Howard was OK, but as he grew in popularity he started going way off the deep end.

I just don't think ridiculing people who have physical and mental disabilities is funny. He is called the Shock-Jock because he says and does things that others would not dare to do, but not because they are afraid of the FCC. They don't do it because they have manners, and human decency...those things that Howard lacks.

...Rich

Satellite radio reminds of when cable was just beginning. No one in their right mind was going to pay for TV programing when over the air was free.

How many of us remember when you had to rotate the antenna to get the stations in? Don't remember the last time I had to adjust my Trac's radio antenna.

How many remember when Cable TV was commercial free?

Sorry, cable TV and satellite radio have little in common.

Tom

I have to say, I didn't listen to Stern until he went to Satelite. I'd listen once in a while when he was on K-Rock but mostly I would spend my time listening to CDs because I couldn't stand morning radio. I got Sirius for Christmas and can't stop listening to Stern now. and when I'm not in the mood I've got dozens of radio stations at my finger tips. I personally don't like O & A. They tried to be as lewd and crude as howard but just weren't funny at it. Satelite is far superior to free radio just in the fact that no matter where in the country you are you can still listen to the stations. I listen to alt\rock\80s etc. when I leave the NYC metro area all I seem to be able to find is country music, not saying anything is wrong with country music but it's nice to be able to turn on my sirius radio and go to channel 20 and listen to Octane.

the best part of this country is our freedom of choice. If he's not your cup of tea then it's great that you don't have to listen to him, but I can if I want to. But just because you don't care for his brand of humor doesn't make him a bad person

Edit:

a couple of years ago I was out in the Costa Mesa CA area for business. My rental car had XM in it. My coworker and I were psyched b\c we wanted to try it out. couldn't find a channel that played more then 2 good songs in a row. We came back very disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Much of cable was commercial-free when it first came out. I don't have HBO or Showtime, but I think they still are commercial-free.

How many of us remember when you had to rotate the antenna to get the stations in? Don't remember the last time I had to adjust my Trac's radio antenna.

I really don't understand this, but I do remember when we had rabbit ears...in fact my TV now has rabbit ears to pick up the local HD stations. Car antennas are omni-directional, so I don't see why you would even think about adjusting it. I included a link below for you Tom, just in case you are still renting your phone. :p j/k

I agree with Fred that satellite radio is being accepted much like cable TV was. There were the early adopters that saw the new medium as an exciting new technology, and then there were others who refused to pay for something they currently receive free.

I say there is a reason local TV and radio are free. It is because those media spend a huge portion of their time on ads. I don't know about anyone else, but when I turn on the TV or radio, I am looking for news, information or entertainment - not advertisements.

I actually think it's kinda funny, that someone asking the question "Any one listen to Howard Stern?" received a whole bunch of posts from guys that don't care to listen to him. I can understand totally if he isn't what you like, enjoy, believe in, etc. But if you see the topic, and don't like him, why even look in the post.

As for me, I listen to Howard, and Bubba. They are the shit, although there are times they drift off into a rant, but I stay anyway, because it's funny hearing them bust peoples balls.

I don't listen to any of my local stations, or any of those John Boy & Billy, Opie & Anthony, or whoevers. I did for a few weeks, and realised that they are doing Howards act, but a few weeks later, after they've figured out a way to "clean it up" for their audiences. Hell my local station here in Pitt, ripped off a different comedy team all the time, but you didn't know it till that other group was broadcast into Pitt.

Hey Now!

Howard's had some good looking broads on his show over the years.:lol:

His early years at WGN Chicago were out there. Funny stuff.

I liked the old gang, when Jackie left I lost a little interest, when he left terrestrial radio I lost all interest, I have no desire to pay for radio on my 25 minute commute to work, 15 when I'm biking it.

If he came back over, I'd probably listen again.

LOL

All these Stern bashers, crawling out of the wordwork like termites. He certainly draws out passionate responses from people who "don't listen to him".

The fact remains he has been very successful and can buy and sell anyone on this site. Between his radio show, his book, his movie and his Pay Per Views, he has made more in one day than anyone here will make in a year.

He obviously has his niche and has taken full advantage of it. I see that as brillance in business.

RnRJefro,

Don't take it like we are bashing Stern. Look at it like I am no longer in his target demographic of 18-34 year old males. For a large part of my younger years 18-31ish he was very entertaining to me. One day I grew up and it was not as funny anymore.

Caymen,

I am not sure you are old enough to comment on the pre cable era much as I cannot comment on silent movies. Technology does not wait for everyone to jump on board. Remeber that the next time you make a cell phone call or use your debit card to buy groceries.

I still rotate my antenna. But the rotar controll gives me a digital compass heading has 12 presets and remote controll. All this for over the air HD reception without a monthly bill;)

No, I don't listen to Howard or O & A. I can't stand listening to people talk for hours in the morning, IF I'm even awake! I have XM in BOTH my vehicles. I was like some of you... "What! pay money to listen to the radio!!?? No freakin' way!" But after having it in the Escalade, I found that my hour and 45 minute 'commute' through the mountains between Tahoe and Sacramento was now covered by a constant radio signal the entire distance! So I had an XM receiver put in the Trac! No more having to load CD's for the trip. If I had a boat, I've have it in there too!

I really don't understand this, but I do remember when we had rabbit ears...in fact my TV now has rabbit ears to pick up the local HD stations. Car antennas are omni-directional, so I don't see why you would even think about adjusting it. I included a link below for you Tom, just in case you are still renting your phone. j/k

That is the point. Antenna's on your house was a hassle, to say the least. Cable TV ended the need of maintenance of your antenna, possible lightning strikes, broken wires on your antenna, etc. With cable, if I have a problem, I make a phone call and the problem is taken care of. I can hook as many TV's to my cable connection that I want.

My point is that Cable flourished like it did because it eliminated many problems you would have with "on air" TV. We don't have those problems with radio's in vehicles today. Also, if you lived in a valley or just out of the broadcast area, your TV reception is sh!t, at best. There are many radio stations available, in just about everywhere. For those area's without radio stations, then sattelite radio would work for them.

Caymen,

I am not sure you are old enough to comment on the pre cable era much as I cannot comment on silent movies. Technology does not wait for everyone to jump on board.

Fred, I got a question for you. How old do you think I am? I remember when cable first came into my area. I also know when we got cable. That was when we had a choice to spend hundreds of bucks on a new antenna, rotor, cable, signal booster or get cable. We got cable.

I am sorry, satillite radio will fail.

Tom

Those naysayers in the 70s that said "Cable TV will never catch on", no doubt lived in metro and suburban areas where you could get 5 or 6 stations, and get them well, OTA. Sure, at that time, paying any amount for a handful of additional channels which is all that most cable companies had didn't seem like a great deal.

But, as a kid of the 70s, I lived in a very rural area, and we got only two NBC channels with any quality, and that's about it. On a good day MAYBE you could see CBS, and if really desperate you MIGHT get to watch ghosts on ABC...no PBS, no indie stations...NBC or nothing. So cable made sense for those types of communities.

Now its about the programming. 300 channels and 1000s of programs available on-demand, yet still, NOTHING to watch. Case in point, I'm watching Bonanza on TV-LAND right now.

As for satellite radio...it might fail as Tom says, but not because people aren't willing to pay for it, but because not enough people are willing to pay for it. Unlike OTA TV, OTA radio was more or less "sufficient" for the masses and still is. OTA TV wasn't....something significantly better came along (cable) and MOST people saw the value of it and it was worth paying for. Most people don't yet and may NEVER see the value worth paying for when it comes to sat radio.

TJR

Technology Predictions

"Man will never reach the moon regardless of all future scientific advances." -- Dr. Lee DeForest, Inventor of TV

"There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the atom." -- Robert Millikan, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1923

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year." -- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"But what ... is it good for?" -- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates, 1981

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us," -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

-- David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible," -- A Yale University management professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service.

(Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)

"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary Cooper," -- Gary Cooper on his decision not to take the leading role in "Gone With The Wind."

"A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make," -- Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields' Cookies.

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out," -- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible," -- Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The literature was full of examples that said you can't do this,"

- - Spencer Silver on the work that led to the unique adhesives for 3-M "Post-It" Notepads.

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy," -- Drillers who Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist to his project to drill for oil in 1859.

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau." - - Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929.

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value," -- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented," -- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, US Office of Patents, 1899.

"The super computer is technologically impossible. It would take all of the water that flows over Niagara Falls to cool the heat generated by the number of vacuum tubes required." -- professor of electrical engineering, New York University

"I don't know what use any one could find for a machine that would make copies of documents. It certainly couldn't be a feasible business by itself." -- the head of IBM, refusing to back the idea, Forcing the inventor to found Xerox.

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction." -- Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872

"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon," -- Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, appointed Surgeon-Extraordinary to Queen Victoria 1873.

Nelson,

What does that prove? There are many more failed ventures then ones that suceeded.

Things I think that will help satellite radio suceed. Cell phones that recieve satellite radio. Most people carry around cell phones. Not everyone wants to deal with carring another thing in their pocket to recieve broadcasts. A chip that will allow more then one person to recieve the signal per subscription.

With cable, I can run as many TV's in my house as I see fit. I can have 5 TV's connected at one time and watch all 5 at the same time for one price. If I wanted to have satellite radio, I would be the only person to listen to it. If I want Theresa to listen to it in her car, she has to buy her own. If I have more then one vehicle, I would have to either have to deal with having to remember to swap my reciever from one vehicle to another.

Sorry, the technology needs to become a little more advanced before consumers will embrace that technology.

I know it contradicts my statement with HD radio, but HD radio is free.

Tom

Caymen says:
With cable, I can run as many TV's in my house as I see fit. I can have 5 TV's connected at one time and watch all 5 at the same time for one price.

Yeah, you can do that today with cable, but not for long.

What you describe, Caymen, is analog cable. In the not too distant future cable companies will switch to an all-digital format. Digital cable requires digital settop boxes to decode the signals, and that means a settop for each TV. The days of one-price for as many TV sets as you wish are numbered.

Then, the same arguments will apply. Some will be taken "kicking and screaming" from the analog cable which is cheaper and "all they need" in to a more costly, digital cable product that costs more and gives them a bunch more stuff that they don't want. It's called "progress".

TJR

What you describe, Caymen, is analog cable. In the not too distant future cable companies will switch to an all-digital format. Digital cable requires digital settop boxes to decode the signals, and that means a settop for each TV. The days of one-price for as many TV sets as you wish are numbered.

We have one of the most advanced cable systems in the nation. We are running a full digital cable system along with an analog signal. They already tried once to convert the whole system to digital. There was a public outrage and they went back to a digital and analog system. Whats the problem? A new cable box, if needed, is only a buck or two. Not a new subscription per TV set...unlike satellite radio.

Tom