Any one listen to Howard Stern?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caymen, you say "What's the problem?" and then say that a digital settop is "only a buck or two", a month; but then you also say there was an "outrage" when your cable company tried to go "all digital". At the same time you bemoan the costs of a several sat radio subscriptions per device, per month. I'm losing track of your point.

I suspect the reason people were outraged about digital is probably because they had to buy new TVs (in some cases) and rent new settop boxes where there was no need prior. And the same is true with sat radio as you need to outlay coin for new equipment and pay a per-month charge to use the new equipment.

So, as I said, the same hurdles you see for sat radio exist for digital cable...thus the outrage you saw, and why some just aren't willing to spend the extra money (a few dollars each month per device in both cases) where they currently are paying none.

In summary:

- OTA radio = no monthly fee to use on as many devices as you want

- Analog cable = no add'l monthly feel to use on as many devices as you want

- Sat radio = pay an add'l monthly fee to use per device

- Digital cable = pay an add'l monthly fee for use on each TV

So all I was saying is that your analogy that cable is like OTA radio is true, for analog cable, but digital cable changes the rules and makes it more like Sat radio, which you seem to not be a fan of.

TJR

More Thoughts...:

As an old Pink Floyd song said, "500 Channels of 'SH$%' on the T.V. to Choose

From"! (Off of "The Wall", I think...).

And when all else fails, all of the talking, reasoning, trying to share the moral points

and personal preferences, as a lot of the 'Bible Belt", "Moral Consortium of Preachers",

etc..., try to enforce on everyone, there are always those two little buttons on the T.V.,

or remote, that say "Off", or "Channel UP/DOWN"!

I think we all have become spoiled by modern technology, and I will be the first to admit that

I have the bug, bad!!! Some that know me personally call me the "High-Tech Redneck"

(and proud of it!). Like that George Jones Song!;)

I suspect the reason people were outraged about digital is probably because they had to buy new TVs (in some cases) and rent new settop boxes where there was no need prior.

Nope, new TV's could not decode the digital signal that our cable company had. The problem was that if you wanted to use the cable service you paid for, you HAD to buy a coverter. People did not want to HAVE to pay for an additional converter.

- OTA radio = no monthly fee to use on as many devices as you want

- Analog cable = no add'l monthly feel to use on as many devices as you want

- Sat radio = pay an add'l monthly fee to use per device

- Digital cable = pay an add'l monthly fee for use on each TV

Once my cable company decided to make all channels digital, I will be upset. With my digital service, I get a DVR for free. The digital DVR is included in the price of my cable. It is cheaper thananalog cable.

I still don't feel Satellite radio is the wave of the future. It will stick around until the satellites fall out of the sky and people are going to be stuck with worthless equipment.

Tom

Not quite true.

Sounds like you have a better digital service than some. My digital package includes ONE standard def digital box. An extra HD box is just that, extra cost, and it's an additional $10/mo cost for the DVR option. So, just for the digital package and digital on two TVs it costs about $60/mo....add in Internet for another $45, a couple of premium stations, taxes, fees, etc. and my cable bill is around $155/mo.

If I could get DSL I would drop Comcast in a minute. Verizon FIOS is going to be available soon, and when it is, and mature, I will move to it, and probably Dish for HD....I should be able to save between $50 and $70 a month then.

TJR

I actually think it's kinda funny, that someone asking the question "Any one listen to Howard Stern?" received a whole bunch of posts from guys that don't care to listen to him. I can understand totally if he isn't what you like, enjoy, believe in, etc. But if you see the topic, and don't like him, why even look in the post.

That has to be the most backward response to a post I've heard in some time. The original post asks us if we listen to Stern. Some responded "yes", some responded "no", and some elaborated a bit into their reasoning for those responses. Just like you would expect from asking a "yes"/"no" opinion question in such a thread. And now someone else is going to act like it was wrong to provide that type of feedback? If the original poster didn't want that type of feedback, he wouldn't have asked the question in the first place!

So, just for the digital package and digital on two TVs it costs about $60/mo....add in Internet for another $45, a couple of premium stations, taxes, fees, etc. and my cable bill is around $155/mo.

We got the upgraded digital package with DVR, 15 Showtimes, like 20 HBO's, Starz, Cable Internet, and telephone that is unlimited with free calling to the USA and Canada.

Price $100.00/month.

Tom

Yippers. Time Warner. Ask around on who pays what for cable. If you are a loyal customer, the don't care about you! Find out what kind of deals they are running. Call them and demand a better deal and threaten to switch to DSL, Satellite, and phone from the competition. Make darn sure that you are willing to walk if they stand their ground and say no. We did that. We used to pay $120.00 for cable, DVR, Showtime, and INTERNET. Complained and threatened to walk and the price went down and services went up. They even offered another digital converter (non-DVR) for free, but we declined because we only have two TV's and didn't really need another box in the house. A DVR would only have been an extra 5 bucks, if we wanted a DVR or the digital converter would have been free. We didn't want either.

There is another service that, IMO, is worthless. TIVO! You buy the equipment and then pay a service charge for "just pennies a day"...not my pennies though.

Tom

I've already complained mucho to Comcast, but they don't care. And, I don't want to complain too much because at my FT job Comcast is my companies' #1 customer. So, like you Tom, I need to be somewhat loyal to the "brand" even if it costs me, because in a way, they butter my bread.

I hear you regarding Tivo. Tivo did at one time have a pay-once lifetime membership, but I think that's gone now. I agree that it's a harder value proposition, but that's because we (you and I) aren't Tivo zealots. Those that use and have Tivo seem to love it. And, when I talk about loving Tivo, I am not talking about the simple DVR type functionality (pause live, series recording, etc), but truly the Tivo proprietary stuff like their suggestion engine, etc (the whole "My Tivo thinks I'm Gay!" feature).

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Tivo did at one time have a pay-once lifetime membership, but I think that's gone now.

The catch 22 with that TIVO lifetime membership was if your equipment failed, you had to buy new equipment WITH a new subscription. I have went through two DVR's in the past 2 years, so I would have been screwed with TIVO. With a DVR, I can just stop by the Time Warner store and trade it for a new one or call them to come replace it. With TIVO, you are on your own.

Tom

I would like to see the data on the percentage of new car buyers who keep their XM or Sirius service after their first free year expires. One of my millionaire friends bought a new Tahoe last year w/ free Onstar and XM for one year- he let both lapse, even though he told me he liked the XM. I foresee a merger of XM and Sirius or both will fail. I wouldn't take Sirius if you paid me- can't stand Howard Stern.:cool:

I never thought too much of satellite radio. Then, because of long commutes I decided to give it a try.

Now, I would never go back to regular radio. Whatever you are in the mood for, they have. Things you probably don't think of such as Discovery Ch radio or the comedy channels are great to listen to. How many got satellite radio and have then got rid of it never to come back? Not many I would venture. I now have Sirius in my ST and my wife's car has XM (still on the initial free trial). They are both great to have if you spend a lot of time in your car. As they become more integrated with the car's Nav system and offer books and other stuff on-demand they will only get more popular. As for Stern. I'm not a big fan. But I would not underestimate him. He's a very intelligent person and will continue to be successful. The great thing about Sirius is that you can pick one of the other 100+ channels if you don't want to listen to him.

I used to have Sirius. Got rid of it, then I got it again this summer because I got tired of listening to commercials on local radio, trying to find radio stations on long trips, or fumbling around with CDs I've heard before. I hear lots of new music on Sirius that I probably would not have heard otherwise. I plan on keeping it as long as I have the ST and I plan on having it on whatever my next vehicle is.

The great thing about Sirius is that you can pick one of the other 100+ channels if you don't want to listen to him.

I think most people forget that point. Just because you may or may not like someone does not mean nobody should be allowed to listen to it.

Tom

lasik1,

The figures are approximately 25% retention for XM, and 55% for On Star, on the new

G.M. vehicles where these features are standard equipment. The only reason On Star

is higher is because it is a safety feature that customers are willing to bite the bullet for,

in terms of subscription/user fees. However, the On Star Premium Service, where you get

the Turn-By-Turn Nav, Concierge Service, and have to pay to load up your Calling

Minutes to use the phone service is only a 22-25% retention. The percentages I gave

are only for the basic service package that both services offer.

P.S... On Star Voice-Only Dialing is a PAIN to use. I'd rather use my hands-free

voice dialing on my cell phone! :)

TJR--That article makes it sound like the Stern show on Sirius has commercials in it. Is this the case? (As a non-subscriber and non-Stern fan, I honestly have no idea.) If that's the case, then that seems to invalidate the comments many people have made here about switching to satellite to be free of the commercials...

Even if satellite were free, I'd likely continue listening to what I currently listen to, just because during the morning drive, I like to have a bit of the local flavor--local news, sports, weather forecasts, traffic, etc. To my understanding, you don't get any of that on XM or Sirius. Getting that, to me, is worth also getting some ads.

Bill, Stern does take a break every so often ( bathroom etc) so during that couple of minutes he usually plays 1 or 2 commercials, bodog and a couple of other sponsor types. But it's no where near what it was like on terrestrial radio. Sometimes he goes 2 hours without a break, depending on the content, guests, bladder etc