Any comments of V6 engine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roseann K

Reaction score
I'm looking at an 07 Sport Trac with a 6 cylinder - Probaby won't use off road too much. Will I be sorry I didn't buy the 8. Any comments before I purchase?

The only issue I have about the V6 is the power output. My 2001 has a V6 and I believe it's underpowered for the ST. I get around 17-18 MPG and haven't had much issue with it. The towing is were you'll notice the lack of power. It's does fine with my 1500 pound payload (single axle trailer and Z-Turn mower). But when I recently hauled 4700 pounds the ST struggled. To the point that I'll never use it again with that amount of weight.

Doug

My '02 has a V6 (of course:D). I like it. I don't race my ST and don't expect to. The 4.0 hauls my ST around fine, IMO. I don't now how much difference trade in would be between the V6 or V8 when you get done with it, but I would guess there will be a difference. Not every helpful, sorry. Test drive both, you might find that you gotta have that V8. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend you test drive them both...

The 2001-2005 feels under powered because of the transmission gearing..

The 2007 v6 has almost double the gear ratioes...

I think you will be suprised...

Todd Z

I am a strng believer in alway buying the fully loaded version of whatever vehicle I buy, cause everytime I dont i always regret it and keep thinking "why didnt I just sped the extra dollars". Thats just my opinion, so in other words Iwould with the v8 then you dont have anything to worry about in the long run

I traded my 02 ST with a V6 in on an 07 with a V6 and the difference is like night and day The gas mileage is better too with 700 miles on my new truck I am averaging 17.5 MPG and that has been all city driving am waiting to do a raod trip to find out how well this 5 speed does me on the Highway I test drove the V8 and it was nice I just wasnt willing to fork out the extra 1000 bucks I have an 01 Lightning for fun this is my family truck am glad I made the purchase just my .02

Rich

Gas mileage is mainly a function of weight. The V6 or V8 should get about the same gas mileage. You may get better gas mileage wit the V8 if towing since in has more torque. I personally would go with the V8. But that's just me.

Latest posts