Another dealer rant - warranty

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris smith 5

Reaction score
I have only had my 08 STA for about 2 weeks. Since day 1 there has been a vibration that sometimes becomes violent at the front end. I picked it up in Arkansas and drove it to California. When I arrived here I put on aftermarket wheels and tires.

Yesterday I took the truck into the dealership and explained to them the whole story. 2 weeks old. Always vibrates. Wheels are (obviously, look at the them) new.

They sit on it for 2 days and then call me up and say that its not likely anything that needs to be replaced will be covered under warranty because all the suspension up front is negatively affected by my aftermarket wheels. Seriously? At 75 MPH and above, the truck shakes so bad that its almost impossible to control. Common sense shows the rims and tires are brand new. The truck only has 18000 miles in the first place.

I didnt want to argue with the guy on the phone, I guess its still possible that it will be covered but he called as a bearer of bad news. And to make it worse, his initial reaction to my question about the tranny bump in first gear "probably the wheels as well".

WTF MAN?????

If you still have the original wheels, put them back on to see if the problem is duplicated. If so, take it to the dealer and let them see it's not the wheels and tires.

Put the stock wheels back on it and see what happens. If you still have the problem go back to the dealer with the stock wheels. Have you checked the balance on the new wheels?

Yeah, had the factory wheels balanced and alignment done before replacing them with the new wheels. Then, had the new wheels re-balanced and alignment double checked when the vibration continued. I still have the factory wheels. I can take them over there to the dealer but I dont know if they buy that. Put the factory wheels back on and see if the problem continues. They are telling me the damage was likely caused by the 200 miles that I have put on the truck with the aftermarket wheels in place.

I would change the wheels and head to the dealer. Either way, let them show you where the problem is, at least you will know what needs to be fixed.

I agree with the others, you really have no choice but to put the OEM items back on to see if the vibration is there or not.

It will answer the direction you need to go.

Unfortunately a lot of aftermarket rim and tire stores NEVER get the balancing correct.....

It is soo simple to do it right too...

Todd Z

Just because wheels and tires are new does not mean they are perfect. I have seen many new products be flawed.

Put OE wheels and tires back on and try it out. If it doesn't vibrate, the issue is the aftermarket wheels and/or tires.

Tom

Turns out I had a brand new tire out of round. Only charged me $115 for diagnostics. Problem is, I put the factory wheels back on and the vibration is still there. Now its more of constant shaking. I'll be going to another dealer soon.....