AMP DISTORTION

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I HAVE A SONY 5 CHANNNEL AMP AND A KENWOOD HEAD UNIT.EVERYTHING WORKS FINE WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING.WHEN I TURN THE KEY DOWN TO ACCESSORY THE AMP DISTORTS. I RAN A 4 GUAGE WIRE DIRECT TO THE BATTERY AND THE GROUND TO THE SEAT BOLT AT THE FLOOR.THE TURN ON LEAD COMES FROM THE HEAD UNIT. HAVENT CHECKED TO SEE IF THERE IS A VOLTAGE DROP AT THE AMP BUT I HAVE WIRED MANY SYSTEMS IN THE PAST AND HAVE NEVER CAME ACROSS THIS.THANKS

Yeah, check the grounds and voltage drop.... Could be a weak truck battery....

Todd Z

I still have no idea what he means by distortion.

If it cuts in and out I would guess the battery as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hooked up a system in my friends truck and the same thing happened except it cut in and out all the time, there was a cut in the remote wire and it was grounding the amp

out.

Sounds like a feed back on the ground point to me. Seat bolts are not the best place to ground an amp for the y usually have a sealant on the bolt which in turn makes for a bad ground . Always make a fresh ground point by sanding an area and drilling a fresh hole

I RAN A 4 GUAGE WIRE DIRECT TO THE BATTERY AND THE GROUND TO THE SEAT BOLT AT THE FLOOR.

Does this happen to be under the drivers seat? I wonder if it only cuts out when the seat your sitting on moves a smidgin while hitting bumps. I would maybe try grounding it somewere else. I have also ran into issues if you run the speaker wires next to the power wire that would cause interferance. Good luck to ya'