air intake on an '09

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Taverna

Reaction score
Looking to install K&N air charger on an '09 V8. Is the 4.6 engine in the '07 and '08 identical to the one in an '09? I ask b/c K&N's website offers the air charger for the two previous years, but not as an application for the '09. When I looked through the pdf install, the connections were alike to the '09, but want to make sure there will be no surprises.

I believe everything is the same. It's the same up to the 2010 even. I've got a 2010 V8 AWD Mountaineer and it looks identical under the hood as far as placement and application.

I personally would buy this one..... :)

But, yes the 07-10 are the same..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim,

K&N makes two models. Part numbers are 57-2573 (black intake pipe) or 77-2573KP (chrome intake pipe). Those part numbers are for the regular Explorer, but they fit the Sport Trac too. Very easy to install, probably about 30 minutes.

Here's a link to installation instructions with an exploded parts diagram showing everything that comes in the kit:

Traintrac,

The link you posted is for a fuel injection kit. The p/n for an air charger is 63-2573. What's strange is they post this kit for an '06 and '07 V8. Thought that was the cutoff b/w Gen1 and Gen2.

K&N also makes: 63-2573 Series

That is a perfect fit.

The Gen 2 ST has a powertrain similar to the 06+ Explorer. The Sport Trac Gen 2 came out in 2007 as it wasn't offered in 2006.

They are the same.

Ken,

Both part numbers that I listed will fit the Gen 2 V8 Trac. Many members here have installed them on their Gen 2 V8 Tracs. Pretty much anything listed for the 2007-up Explorer engine will fit the Sport Trac. They're identical under the hood. At some point, K&N just came up with the name "Fuel Injection Performance Kit" as a fancy name for their CAI's.

What's strange is they post this kit for an '06 and '07 V8. Thought that was the cutoff b/w Gen1 and Gen2.

K&N is referring to the '06-'07 V8 Explorer, not Sport Trac. There was no 2006 Trac, but there was a 2006 Explorer.

I think that the 63-2573 kit is an older model that is no longer made. Doesn't even come up in a search by year/make/model/engine on K&N's web site. Search by the part number and you find an info page that says this:

A sister product to our 57 Series FIPK, our 63 Series AirCharger Intake Kits ...

So I think that the 57-series replaced the 63-series.

Bottom line: The 2007-up Explorer and Sport Trac V8 engines are identical, so aftermarket parts are interchangeable.

Traintrac, don't know if you'll look back at this, but it seems the difference between the 57 & 63 is not that one supercedes the other but that the 57 is carb exempt and thus allowed for use in California.

I have the Nocturnal intake tube on mine and I love it. Took all of about 10 minutes to install, uses the stock airbox and definitely lets this 4.6L puppy breath a whole lot better. Besides that it dresses up real nice. [Broken External Image]:

What's the difference between the Zabtek and the K & N, other than the K & N being twice the price?

Does the Zabtek have a reusable filter like the K & N?

Is a 2 mpg gain realistic?

Thanks for the info!

The Zabteck one does NOT have the Filter......HOWEVER:

Save yourself the Money and get a K&N Drop in filter! The Stock Airbox is really good in it's design and the K&N does NOT have a Heat shield! That's a NoNo when it coes to "Cold Air Intakes"!!

Zabteck's "Nocturnal" Intake is GREAT! I Have it on mine (But I have a MAF/Filter kit in addition too)

Like Jeff did....I dressed mine up a bit. They come in a Nice Chrome/Polished design which is great too!

[Broken External Image]: