AC Fan

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It could be motor bearings or something is in the plenum. Maybe the blend door is not clompletely switched causing weird noise.

If it is the motor. At least its under the hood. Not in the dash.

joycie,

Most people here do not have Toyotas (with or without exhausts) so they would not have a clue??? I have a Toyota and I still have no idea what it sounds like with no exhaust... So I cannot imagine that your comparing your AC fan to a Toyota with no exhaust would sound like???

How about a more generic, understandable description, and perhaps someone here has had a similar sound from their fan and they can tell you what they did to fix it.

My guess is the same as Eddie's...replace the fan. The only other option is if something fell down throught the defroster vents at the base of the windshield and is now rattling around in the fan??? That would require removing the airbox under the dash (a real PITA) and see if there is some foreign object bouncing around in there??:cry:

....Rich

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your responses.

Rich L, you can respond without a hair across your a$$, ya know. I asked a simple question with a imaginable example. I would've just preferred the help to my original question.

Thank you.

joycie,

I have said it here many times...."It's difficult to diagnose descriptions of sounds because people have different perceptions of sounds coming from their vehicles". What sounds like a squeak to one person may be described as a squeal to another. A rumble to one person might sound like a groan to another...a knock may be described as a click, etc. But at least they are all similar enough to make a guess.

Comparing the sound of your AC fan to "a Toyota without an exhaust" makes no sense. While an AC fan can rumble or rattle if the bearings are bad, it certainly would never be mistaken for any vehicle engine without an exhaust. It's just an extreme exaggeration and so far fetched that most people doubt your description of the sound....Also that is probably why you did not get many replies....???

I did not have a hair across my a$$, or I simply would have just said: "Maybe you just need to put an exhaust on your AC fan." :grin:"

I don't think my suggestions were out of line, and even expanded upon Eddie's reply. I was only trying to point out that your description of the sound is way beyond the relm of reality and does not help in the diagnosis. Had you given a more accurate, and more believable description of the fan sounds, you may have gotten more help from other here who may have had similar problems and knew exactly what the problem was.

All that Eddie and I could do was take a wild guess.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Joyce,

Before you buy a blower motor, (Which may or may not come with the squirrel cage/fan itself), I would remove or have someone remove the assumbly and check for a leaf or other item\debris that maybe dragging across the blower wheel.

If the bearings on the blower motor are bad, it normally starts acting up with a squeeling sound before it locks up an blows the fuse. It could be that the plastic fan/squirrel cage that mounts on the motor shaft has cracked and is rubbing inside too.

Good Luck.

Latest posts