4WD not engaging

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is a not uncommon problem it could be a few things.

Does the 4wd light on the dash light up when you turn the swith an do you hear a click coming from the passenger side kick panel?

If so the motor/ solenoid is seized, get under there and tap it with a hammer

If the light doesn't come on/ you don't hear a click then the module in the passenger side kick panel is bad.

find one from a wrecker or contact walls ford a site sponsor to send you one.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Could have some one put it in 4WD and some lightly tap the motor underneath... it could be the motor is just stuck from lack of use...

DO that IN PARK..... so everyone is safe....

IT is recommended that you exercises it in the rain a couple of times to keep it moving..

Todd Z

Right now I'm having a similar problem. Yesterday I put mine in 4 wheel drive and the light didn't come on. After driving I could tell it was in 4 wheel drive. When I tried to switch back to 2 wheel, it wouldn't. Now it's stuck in 4 wheel. I even tried puting it in 4 wheel low (with my foot on the brake in neutral) and nothing! None of the 4 wheel lights work at all! I took off the passenger side kick panel to locate the module and I don't hear any "clicking" at all when I try to switch between 2 and 4 wheel! And it's still stuck in 4 wheel drive! Someone told me it might be the "actuator"? I don't know, from what I'm reading it sounds like the "4x4 control module". What do you guys think?????

Nedeye,

Unplug the module and start the truck, Back it up a few feet then go foward....

Sounds like the module fried..

Todd Z

Well, after doing more research on this, I figured it has to be the 4x4 control module. So I found a place on line that had one for $140.oo . But I can't order it until Mon. So I went out to the garage to get the numbers of it and I thought, why not check the fuses. I found the fuse for the 4x4 module and replaced it. Started up the truck and the 4x4 light came back on! Took it for a ride, switched back to 2 wheel, heard a click and the light went off. Switched back and forth between 2 and 4 wheel with no problems. Now it is working fine!!?? But I'm thinking, maybe there is something wrong with the module, and that is why the fuse blew. Well I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed! :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some times fuses blow under normal wear, But keep an eye on it....

Maybe the motor drew too many amps from not being used and fuse blew...

Why replace some thing if it does not have to.....

Keep a spare fuse with you and see how it goes.

Todd Z