07+ V8 OWNERS, PLEASE READ!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Gavin, doesn't this make you want to rush rite on out and buy another Ford product? NOT! :lol:

So much for my consideration of picking up a nice lil boat load of their stock in hopes of a succesful turn around. Once this thing really sets in and the vehicles starting coming up for their 100K tune up this is sure to make a lot of current Ford owners look at other products. Can you imagine $3k+ to have your plugs changed? I wish I would....:lol::lol::lol:

PS: Still love my Trac, I just wish Quality really was Job 1!

Last edited by a moderator:
ARe you saying that the dealerships will charge $3,000 to change the plugs, or that they are not covering the expense of fixing the problem if they break a plug while changing them? Seems to me they should cover the expense of getting the broken parts out if they break a plug. If this is a recurring problem the dealerships have much more pull with Ford to get reimbursed.

dreman, refer to one of my posts above, some dealerships are charging the customer to remove the broken plugs. Make sure you ask them what their policy is BEFORE you get the plugs changed.

What happened for engines after these build dates? What did they change?

I can only speak to the F150 5.4 L as this is what I am familiar with. They changed the head design to allow for more room at the bottom of the plug and they are also using a different plug which is not interchangeable with the earlier designed heads.

So, after all of this discussion, what is the cure? I presently have 42k on my '07 V-8 ST. Do I need to wait for Ford to come up with a cure, are they working on something, or do I see if my dealership will change them and cover the problems if they occure? Otherwise do I wait for 100k and then worry about it or hope that Ford comes up with a cure? Do I need to take the TSB to my dealer, although I assume they will know about it especially since all of the later V-8's have the problem? My nephew just bought a '99 F-150 with 70k on it. Is it included in this problem? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Gavin i did read the TSB, (many times), it is an abortion.

BUT, if you follow the recomended procedure for plug removal, the issue most likly will not be an issue.

I talked with my service manager at frontier ford today, he said it is an issue, but have not had any problems using the recomended removal techniques

I talked with my stang tuner at the mustang ranch in San Jose, is an issue, but they have not had any problems.

Dingo had no problems, I had no problems.

We both followed the recomended removal procedures

There is a procedure, and they have tools to deal with a problem if a plug should be broken.

If it was me, and you are unsure of what you are doing, take the trac to the dealer, pay the toke to have the plugs changed to a one piece design (end of problem forever)

Ford will never do a recall on this issue.

The 3/5K cost will be if a hack do's the deed and the heads need to be removed, this will not happen 99.9% of the time.

Get it done properly, no more worrys.

When you say everyone has done it has had no problems- do you mean that none of the plugs broke? Or do you mean that it is no problem since Ford has special tools to take care of the broken plugs?

I'm wondering if there might be something better than carb cleaner to work on the carbon...

Gavin i did read the TSB, (many times), it is an abortion.

BUT, if you follow the recomended procedure for plug removal, the issue most likly will not be an issue.

I talked with my service manager at frontier ford today, he said it is an issue, but have not had any problems using the recomended removal techniques

I talked with my stang tuner at the mustang ranch in San Jose, is an issue, but they have not had any problems.

Dingo had no problems, I had no problems.

We both followed the recomended removal procedures

There is a procedure, and they have tools to deal with a problem if a plug should be broken.

If it was me, and you are unsure of what you are doing, take the trac to the dealer, pay the toke to have the plugs changed to a one piece design (end of problem forever)

Ford will never do a recall on this issue.

The 3/5K cost will be if a hack do's the deed and the heads need to be removed, this will not happen 99.9% of the time.

Get it done properly, no more worrys.

Agreed, of all the ones that have broken off at F150online (another one today had three break at a dealership using the TSB) I can only recall one that had to have his heads pulled. The rest have had success with the tool.

Yeah, there really isn't any solvent that will dissolve carbon, but I was thinking of something like Kroil that has a little more lubricating properties than carburetor cleaner might be better:

gavin, take the ST to the dealer, your obsessing about the problem.

Dingo, great hit on using deep creep, will desolve carbon for sure.

Olaf, I have 4 children, my tool works great:lol:

lil red,

so true, quality job NONE

after buying fords for my fleet in the early 2000's and the crap they put out now, I AM DONE !!!

last week i drove my buudy's year old shelby mustang. CHEAP interior that rattles and not to mention the cheap stripes already had to be replaced. 38K for that, no thanks!!

the 80's and early 90's they were good, but now BYE, BYE

Yeah, Bill... If you look at the pics of all the other plugs, the carbon is a hard coating. Look at the pic of mine. The carbon is all slimey and sludgey. If you wipe any of my plugs with your finger, it falls right off.

Latest posts