07+ V8 OWNERS, PLEASE READ!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill - plugs are NOT blowing out of the 04+ Triton 5.4 L. Go to F150online.com and find me one case of that happening. There are however plenty of posts about the plugs breaking off just like the ones in the pics I posted.

Sounds like another project I will have to get underway! What's the best place/price to get the Brisk plugs?

Dingo: Which heat range....stock, 1-step colder, 2-step colder?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill- I am tired of correcting you with your misinformation. You accuse me of being wrong and you are WRONG. I did a google search, guess what, only pre 03 F150's have this issue because after that they added more threads. In 04 they switched to the new style plug and they are getting stuck. Here from another site I found on google:

The bad news for ford does get worse. The redesigned 2004 - 2006 F150 with the 3 valve 5.4 (I own a 2004) does not blow plugs. It is the exact opposite in fact, the plugs will not come out of the head and break off. A simple spark plug replacement is costing guys well over $3000.00 There is a TSB out and even still plugs are breaking. I tested the theory to see if my dealer would do a spark plug change before the warranty was up and they won't touch it with a ten foot pole. This will get more attention as more trucks get up in miles as the spark plugs are supposed to be 100,000 mile plug. In my opinion this has the potential to be very bad for Ford, as the F150 buyer is what keeps them going. My next truck will be a Chevrolet or Dodge with out question. I do understand that things happen and mistakes are made, but how a company handles these issues is what makes the difference. If you want to see how wide spread it is just google F150 stuck spark plugs, breaking plugs, etc.

YOU find me something contrary. If the 04+ was blowing plugs why does Ford have a TSB for removing broken plugs from the 04+ trucks. Do YOUR research.

BTW - that "one site" to which I referred is only the biggest F150 site on the internet. I would think that they would be well aware of an issue if it existed.

A simple spark plug replacement is costing guys well over $3000.00

From this my question is, if take my V-8 Sport Trac in and pay to have the plugs replaced (providing my own replacement plugs) and one (or more of the factory installed plugs break off) will I be charged for the additional labor charge?

From this my question is, if take my V-8 Sport Trac in and pay to have the plugs replaced (providing my own replacement plugs) and one (or more of the factory installed plugs break off) will I be charged for the additional labor charge?

From what I have seen at F150online it really depends on the dealership. Some are covering it and others are saying they won't. f you are still under warranty the broken plugs/removal would be covered under warranty, if you are not you can ask up front to see if they will cover it or not. If they say no find somewhere else that will. I was glad that my lease on my 05 F150 ended just before the plugs needed to be done.

Dingo, is the Champion #7989 the same heat range as the stock plug? If not, do you know the part number for the Champion that is the same heat range?

Lil Red - I wanted to add, a tool has been developed for Ford that can be used to attempt to extract broken chunks of plugs. If this option fails they than have to go the "pull the heads" route. I would assume that this tool can also be used in the non F150 vehicles with this issue.

Latest posts