Zabteck (RT) Magnaflow installed & Fixed. Thanks Zabteck!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Toms

Reaction score
Hello all,

just had a local shop install the RT CAT & Y-pipe along with the Magna-Flow exhaust. Well now I have a check engine light on. The shop had taken the battery off for 5 minutes and it reset. But that darn light came back on. Should I do the same of, the battery disconnect? and then let the truck idle to re-learn the new stuff or what? Any input or help on this one would be GREAT to hear.

Also, I had mentioned that I had no A/C before and the clutch wouldn't come on. Well the shop had located the problem. Which was the main hose which cost me $255 buckaroos. Basically, the shop told me, when I had gotten the body lift, that this hose was rubbing against the bottom pulley and it rubbed a hole into the rubber part of the hose. Which in turn, leaked all my freon out. The shop then zip tied the hose away from the pulley, but said to check it every so often and make sure its no rubbing. They said the only fix to this, would to modify and extent the factory hose, so it wouldn't rub any more.

My total price today, from what got installed was: $200 for install of exhaust, $255 for the hose, $200 for the work done on the A/C, plus tax and some materials, which totaled $720 bucks. Crazy!! So I'd like to hear what I can do about this check engine light. Please give me some ideas :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the code read and find out why the CEL is coming on. Chances are, the shop left something unplugged, or something came unplugged on accident. If you find that the CEL is coming from something at fault with the shop, they should fix the problem free of charge.

Light is probably your sensors in the exhaust.... two on the y pipe and one at the cat. check to make sure they are in.... the wires arent snapped. etc. or go to autozone and get the computer code and post it here. but odds are its one of those 3 sensors.

The shop told me if the CEL wouldn't go off, they would hook to the reader and find out whats throwing, b/c they would like to make sure it wasn't something they did. They also told me, it might be the fact. that I only had 1 CAT put back on. The shop is a friend of my dad's, and they wouldn't screw me, so I know thats not the deal. I'm going to let the truck cool down some. Check the sensors to see if they are sitting right and then check the wires connected to them. If they seem OK, I will do the battery disconnect.

Does Auto-zone check the codes for free? I don't have a code reader, but know it be nice to have one. Thanks for the quick input, any other ideas out there?

Same thing happened to me with my body lift! I also am trying to get it repaired..$255 isnt too bad, I know that dang hose is really expensive tho. If you don't mind me asking, what did they do exactly, replace everything from the accumulator on forward? Or did they manage to splice a section in?

Rich,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems but it sounds like the shop is at fault and you won't get a check engine light going from 2 cats to 1. I'm surprised the shop didn't just read the code before you left instead of just sending you off.

The easiest thing is to bring it to Autozone and have the code read for free. Just ask them and they will do it. It is better to know what the problem is before you go crazy looking at everything.

My first thought is something happened to one of the 3 oxygen sensors during install. There are 2 on the y-pipe (one on each pipe) and 1 on the cat. Check these to make sure they are installed correctly and to make sure the wires are not twisted badly or broken. Also, since you had all the work done at the same time, maybe some other hose was knocked loose or not reinstalled under the hood.

Check the code and post it here and we will help! With all the sales we have not had anyone get a check engine light because of the y-pipe or cat.

George

Ha! SeattleSportTrac, yeah i wanted to be lazy and have some one else do it, plus my parents wouldn't have liked that I would have another truck ripped apart. The ranger has been apart since September 2005, but thats just b/c I can't remember how to put it back together (brain trauma) lol yeah. Um I did happen to find out what was wrong. I let the truck sit out on the carport to chill out from the sun, and I checked the motor. Everything seemed connected. I got under the truck and had noticed the 1 sensor to the CAT, had not been connected. I also noticed it was melted to the CAT. I tried to connect it, but it was melted beyond connection. I called the shop. Ran back down to the shop and they replaced for free and said they was sorry that it happened like that. It was cool though, just glad its on and it sounds so good. Oh yeah, no more CEL.

SEAN, they replaced the main hose, I don't know what ya call it, but its the main one that comes out of the black do-hickie and goes down pass the belt tensioner. It had been rubbing on the pulley of the belt tensioner and thats where it had leaked. They said, who ever installed the body lift didn't pull that hose back away and thats the reason. They said, the only thing that they could do, was zip tie it away from the pulley. They suggested, I take the old hose, and get some one to modify it, with a longer rubber hose, thats between the 2 aluminum ones, and then zip tie it back, so it gets rid of the tension on the hose and gets rid of the stress on it as well.

I plan to go back to "Trick Trucks" who installed the body lift tomorrow and complain that I just had to fork out $300 bones to get my A/C hose and more freon. Now, they might try to pull a fast one and say, they couldn't guarantee the install b/c I didn't purchase the kit through them, but I'll say back, they should least guarantee the installation is OK as well as any hoses or lines or wires aren't messed up or disconnected. I doubt, I will get anything from them, even though they are the ones at fought. But, I only work half days anyway, so it will give me something to do.

When the check engine light was originally found, the shop guy was on his way to pick up. I explained that the computer needed to be reset and to re-learn the changes. They had done that, then picked me up. Once I took the guy back to the shop, no CEL came on. Moment I got home. CEL came on. So yeah. That explains all of it. Parents love the exhaust and the way it sounds. And so do I.... I just need to do a few more upgrades... Like the bigger MAF. :) thanks everyone for the help.

Glad it all worked out.

And THANK YOU for the business !!!!

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts