Your Opinion: Brenspeed: Trade 99 Lightning For a Saleen SC STA Conversion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Chandler at Brenspeed. They will trade me a full Brenspeed/Saleen Supercharged Sport Trac Adrenalin Conversion and Dyno Tuning ($9000+)for my 1999 SVT Lightning with 175,000 miles as it sits ($10,000 in value that I paid a lot less for). They would do it sometime this August.

It takes 3 days to install. We stay in their guest house for free. It's a 13 hour drive. One way. I would go with my wife and our baby. It will burn about a week of my life lol!

I love my Lightning and I'm not sure if I want to do this or not. My STA only has 7800 miles on it. It's my daily driver.

The Lightning has significantly more power potential than the STA. Not sure that matters to me since I don't bracket race. 400AWHP would be plenty for me.

What do you guys think? Kinda hard not to go ahead and pull the trigger on this imo.

A lighting is nice to have for a hotrod. For me it would be a second car though.

Boosting the HP&TQ in the STA is a great idea, IMO.

As long as they stand behind the work. Go for it. Looks like an even trade to me.

Since they are putting you up in the Guest house.

The lighting was up for sale anyway.

There wont be anymore STA's........:supercool:

Honestly, the Lightning,,, if the motor goes, no matter the looks of the truck, a motor rebuild and all that headach.....

Get 400 Daily driving HP for the trade, let them do what they wish with the F150 and get out of playing games with cars and trucks....

I wish I was able to do that.....My STA would be done in a heart beat.....

Todd Z

Yep, sounds like a no-brainer to me. I'd go for the trade too. Just bear in mind that once that blower's installed, the factory powertrain warranty goes out the window!

Hey Carey,

I just sent you a couple of emails.

Todd Z. makes some really good points. And Train Trac's thought on the warranty is one I hope to not have to find out about or challenge. As someone had suggested awhile ago, make good friends with a local Ford Service Manager, and hope you can get a fair shake if you need servicing.

Go for it man ! I'd do it again if I didn't have to borrow the $$. :supercool:

Joe

I think we will come experience your ST, if you'll have us over, before I fully commit to this deal. Going to miss the Lightning!

Warrenty work will not be an issue unless the damage was a direct result of the supercharger. I get my truck services at Riley Ford in Chazy, NY and they are amazing and great to me.

This truck has been great thus far. It's been better than my 2008 STA by a long shot! Especially the tran.

Anyone want my Zabteck TB, Underdrive pulley kit, K&N intake or anything else in my sig lol? Can't use any of it with the Saleen SC.

I would have already put together a powerpoint presentation to convince my wife that the three day stay was a vacation to "better the marriage" and the STA upgrade is just a consolation prize.

I would have already put together a powerpoint presentation to convince my wife that the three day stay was a vacation to "better the marriage" and the STA upgrade is just a consolation prize.

Brenspeed should market their guest house as a bed & breakfast. Then, it would be a win-win for both husband & wife!:banana:

So...I'm going forward with the Saleen Conversion for my STA.

I have a slew or parts for sale in the swap and sell. I'm only selling them because they won't work with the Saleen unit and my truck doesn't need them right now.

I'm excited. I'm SOOOO glad I bought this Lightning. Without it, I would never have gotten such a badass deal. Trading it for all the goodies in my profile! Check it out!

" re: Your Opinion: Brenspeed: Trade 99 Lightning For a Saleen SC STA Conversion by Droll,6/30/2011 16:27 ET

Your wife would go for this? Man, you got a keeper."

You have no idea! My wife is awesome. Not only does she love performance vehicles, but she tolerates my modding addiction without that much fuss.

I love her with every fiber of my being. I can honestly say that without her, my modding just wouldn't be as much fun....much like the rest of my life!

So the plans are taking shape.

The biggest issue is the transport. The cost of hauling it down, the pain in the neck of getting a trailer big enough, the lost income from my wife and I being gone for a week...

I've got a quote of $1300 to ship both vehicles to Brenspeed now. The bids keep coming in and its dropping a little bit.

The closer this gets...the more I have second thoughts. I'm going to miss this Lightning. I'll never be able to replace it for what I have into it.

Once this is done to the STA...there will be nothing else I can do aside from a tiny 1.5" drop. With the L, the mods are basically limitless. I will miss that modding process.

The fuel pump in the Lightning died last week. After 175,000 it needed a replacement lol. If that were the STA, I'd have no wheels. The L is sitting at the dealership, parts in stock just waiting on an opening to get it in and drop the tank and put the new pump and filter on. I'll miss that flexibility. I'm not looking forward to a possible supercharger failure on the STA. That will cost a mint to fix, especially if it has to go back to Brenspeed.

I guess I'm just looking for reasons to keep the Lightning since I have it already. With the money I'd spend on transporting the trucks to and from IN....I could do a lot with the L lol.

At the same time, I want my 10,000 mile 4 door AWD 400+hp daily driver. The only thing the STA ever lacked was power. It's the reason I bought a Ram. The Ram had power but I didn't like it as much as the STA.

So if I'm going to keep a truck for a very long time...it should be the STA. Will have the power I want, 12 years newer, a fraction of the mileage, rich with features, better ride...

I wish I could have them both the way I want them! I like being married more though! lol.