Your hawt but really dumb!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally think the teachers are overworked and underpaid. Schools in many areas are underfunded and many schools are now "teaching to the test", so that the goal of educating is now to pass the stupid "No Child Left Behind" testing requirements. Nothing else matters, since funding is directly tied to the student populations' test results.

Additionally, kids are not properly motivated by their parents to do well in school. I monitor my daughter's grades online and discuss her courses with her. I help her when she is having problems and her grades did a huge turn around when she came to live with me three years ago. However, even that is not enough to compensate for the US's broken school system.

Imagine my surprise this morning when my daughter who holds a 4.3 GPA and was in all Honors courses in US schools received a grade of 25% on her entrance exam for Math for her Polish school. Now I am trying to convince the school here not to put my daughter in remedial Math! My daughter is devastated, because she wants to be an engineer and work for NASA. We were in the second best school district in Oklahoma and even that sucked compared to European standards. Let's face it, US schools suck and they are getting further behind every year.

Cumulative GPA (Weighted) 4.3

Class Rank 26 of 360

Percentile 92.78%

(from my daughter's official transcript)

Last edited by a moderator:
She represents SC really well!

Unfortunately, she also represents the USA. She, Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, etc. do nothing to change the attitude overseas that Americans are stupid.

Hell, there are people with Master's degrees selling burgers over here. They'd love better jobs, but they don't exist here yet. In the US, any college drop out can earn a good living, and if you work hard you can be a millionaire. Bill Gates and on a smaller scale, my brother prove this. They both dropped out of school the first year.

If you can't tell, I am extremely disappointed in our school systems in the US. I cannot describe here how disappointed, but I find it inexcusable and an embarrassment for our nation as a whole. If we don't fix this problem quickly, China will be out-sourcing THEIR manufacturing jobs to US in 100 years!

What's the issue? She's pretty right? I thought that was all that mattered nowadays. At least that was television tells me... :huh:

Good comments, Nelson.

Don't forget that a lot of school administrators are very poor managers. Most schools and local districts are run horribly from a business point of view.

Teachers by and large are now being paid well for the amount of work they do. They are not motivated and managed well.

No Child Left Behind has some good points to it, but it also really misses the boat in other ways.

She said something? I didn't really notice. I did notice some kind of background noise. I'd say that I was distracted staring at her, but she is probably 16 or 17, and that would make me a dirty old man (at least old compared to her).

Rocks

She's 18. But your still a dirty old man MTURocks. :D

Her do-over:

If 1/5th of Americans truly can't find the U.S. on a world map than it isn't the fault of our education system, IMHO. Instead, I think it is caused by the fact we have a really apathetic segment of our population that simply doesn't value that knowledge.

There are certain things that most (not 80%...more like 99%) of the population should be able to do and should know. Being able to find the U.S. on a world map is one. Being able to name the branches of govt is another; knowing who the current president, vice-president and speaker of the house are is a third.

Tragically, a disturbing many don't know these things...not because they aren't taught nor that they don't have the opportunity to learn these things. No. The issue is those that don't know, simply don't seem to care.

TJR

Jeez TJR, with a reply like that you better look really good in a bikini if you want to win the pagent. :p

She was on the news this evening and actually spoke quite well. She said she was nervous. She was brave to get back on TV to try it again.

I put the blame on parents today. Mom and Dad both need to work and simply do not have time to spend with their children. I knew where the USA was on a globe. I also knew where my mom came from and where my fathers family was from. I knew where Ohio was in the USA.

I knew this all before I went to kindergarten. I was by no means a genius. I hated school and got horrible grades, but I managed to learn more than the honor students. I have a great job that requires constant testing and I provide myself with a good living.

I went to a "crappy" public school. I can not imagine going to school and coming out an idiot.

Tom

She may live in LA now but she was born, raised and went to school in NYC

TOM, thats TJR's job to bash NY !!!! Not yours... LOL :lol::lol:

That pageant is mostly about looks we all know that, the Q&A part is just the Front to cover up the fact we are judging them on their looks to make it politically correct....

Todd Z

ToddZ, I don't remember bashing NY...at least not in any unfair or uninformed way...having been born, raised, and lived there for over 30 years, I would assume I earned the right to be critical.

TJR

TJR and Paris might have went to the same school and shared the same teachers in NYC.

That explains a bunch right there. ;):lol:

Tom

Caymen said:
TJR and Paris might have went to the same school and shared the same teachers in NYC.

That explains a bunch right there.

Funny. But given that you live in Ohio (which is so close to NY) I would have hoped that you wouldn't have had the same, common misconception that many others outside of NY have. And that misconception is that everyone from NY must live in or around NYC.

Most of the rest of NY state doesn't even like to claim NYC.

TJR

I convinced the school to let my daughter try the standard Math course, but after 30 days if she doesn't catch up, she goes to the remedial courses for the rest of high school (two years). I'm hiring a tutor. I think she will do fine, but I'm taking no chances.

Latest posts