YORK Peppermint patty factory closing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We learned in the 1920s that prohibition doesn't work, but yet we still fight the drug vsrtles. If drugs were legal, then legitimate companies would take over production and the organized crime syndicates would no longer need all their weaponry and not have to bribe politicians, assassinate police officers, etc.

On another note, the war on drugs even effects the war in Afghanistan. We should take a lesson from history. Adolph Hitler's Germany was very effective at winning his war, until he started diverting resources to the extermination of the Jewish people. In the case of Afghanistan, I believe we should first win the war, and then later work on the reconstruction and development of a stable economy. Better yet, we should just win the war and then let Afghanistan decide the path they want.

Finally, York Peppermint patties are one of my favorites. Before today I didn't even know where they were made. For me it is unimportant. As long as a product has good quality and a fair price I will buy it. Just reading the topic headline my mouth began to water, but alas, there are no Peppermint Patties in Poland except for the After Eight brand. Those are awesome too, but I have to eat 6 or more, since they are so small.

Moving jobs no matter how many, out of this country does hurt. That is what has hurt this countries economy now more than anything. At the beginning when Nafta deal was in place it was a good idea but, nobody then, looked further down the road.

That will be 300 people, less likely to be able to pay all of their bills or want to buy a new vehicle or even used one, and or purchase a home or travel within the US. All of which contributes to our ecomomy. That is alot of money that will not be spent in their City and State due to those 300 jobs not being paid to US citizens. Hershey is not that big of a city. I've lived in much bigger. and it will hurt them especially if more companies in PA, say..if they can do that we can do that too. With the Banks issues, and the Auto industries issues and those industries having to lay off thousands of folks, THAT hurt the Us in a big way. Any time jobs are lost in this country to another country, it hurts us.

Nobody can afford to go out and buy anything or pay for services without a job. It is good for Mexico and those folks that will work in the factory, that is already there. It will help them out alot.

and Joe, I know what you mean about moving to Mexico, there are many Americans that work on the US side and bank on the US side but live on the Mexico side or used to. It is no secret it is cheaper to live there and it sure helps out the folks in those towns that are employed by the Americans that live there. I'm thinking for about 500-800 a month there you could live like a King and your wife live like a Queen. Serious, you could have a taxi pick you up every day to take you to the border, you can have a gardener and your wife could have a maid and cook and somebody to do your laundry.

This is of course if you live in the smallker towns AND if you are not robbed and beaten by the local police or banditos that look for (in the crimiinals minds) rich Americans to rob and steal from, not to mention having to put up with the drug lords and their people.

It was very popular and cool idea back in the 80's, but any more it's far too dangerous. Especially, for Americans. Heck, check out Tucson AZ, or any border towns in Texas, AZ and CA, where there have been numerous folks robbed, kidnapped held for ransom, by criminals from Mexico coming over looking for easy money or worse yet....the Americans taken from their homes, or vehicles, and never seen again, probably abused in some way, killed or sold into sex slavery. It happens alot in Lower Texas and AZ and CA. It's not publizised alot though. Once in a while you will hear a story.

and really there is no war on drugs, that is what our Government wants the general population of this country to believe. We would have won that one by now if there was such a war. That war is an easy one to tackle since it is on our land, don't you think?

TJR, they are looking the other way, for a reason. You would not believe how many folks come over legally to set up house. They help family and friends who are not legal to get get their utilities on, but use Cell phones and phone cards only. Those folks get jobs, under the table until they can get a green card and then go legal.

But once this is done they bring in more folks from Mexico, all of them find jobs working under the table, until they can get their documents in order, whether legal or not, then, that group moves on to open new houses up to assist in bring more over and helping them and a new batches come in.

Can you imagine how many of these hard working people here illegally, are working for Local, State and Federal employees. It is a network inside a network and I know that even though, I am for the hard working Mexicans that just want a better life for their kids are mixed in this. There are bad Mexicans, the real criminals, that are just here to rape and pillage.

As for the war on drugs, it is a smoke screen for something bigger that goes on.

With all the citizens against drugs, all the schools, goverment offices, police (all areas of the justice systems Local State, and Federal) Then, Ex gang members preaching against drugs as well as famous people paying for their ads (for punishment for gettting caught with drugs) Now you would think, with all of those people, orgaizations and Official offices ....that we would, by now be a drug free country. NOPE. We hear, now and then, about drug trafficers getting caught.

There is always one person/mule, the drug lords can sacrifice for our government to look good. For every one truck or car that gets caught, I guarantee there are 10 more getting through the borders.

You just don't hear much about that. Every once in a while, somebody that is honest, will tell the media the real story about the borders and drugs, or the crime on our streets and how the fight is going. Funny after those HONEST folks speak up, their offices don't allow them to speak to media again, or they get transfered to a different job or something is offered to them, to quietly and casually get them out of the lime light so to keep a hush on the real deal.

Our country never does something for nothing. Nor do other countries...it's a give and take somewhere with all of them it's all about making the deal and what can be gained.

Both countries do look the other way. Bottom line, it is all about the money. Do not think for one minute that when a huge drug bust is made whether in the National news or a local news, that somebody around that bust, has not lifted SOMETHING, to make some money. It is All about the money.

Now, I know I sound down on our county, But, I am not. I am very HAPPY to be an American and respect all that we are suppose to stand for as a Country. I am down about the criminal activities that go on daily with in our Country or outside our country that our Government contributes to in some way, in by doing the crimes or allowing the crimes to go on.

I am not too keen on jobs going to other countries, since I personally, have been affected by Naftas action to allow companies to move jobs over seas and in other countries. Am I greedy NOPE but more than just myself have been effected by this, all I want to do is work and be able to live and prosper in my own Country.

btw, great discussion here. glad we can either all agree or disagree in peace :)

:lol: @ what Caymen said, ain't that the truth!

Great discussion folks.

The way I look at it protectionism is not the answer. For decades we have seen the handwriting on the wall. We currently can't do certain jobs here as cheaply as other areas of the world.

So as I see it we either:

1. Accept that those types of jobs are gone and we now need to create new, better jobs that cannot be off-shored, and in the process we grow our economy with new types of goods and services the world has never seen before (lead)

or...

2. We figure out how to keep the jobs and deliver the same goods and services, but deliver them cheaper than the offshore competition while STILL retaining our current worker's standard of living.

Those are the two credible choices as I see them.

I think #1 has a better shot than #2. We've been doing #2 already in this country with automation, and that too displaces workers.

Anyone have alternatives?

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:

The alternative is what is going to happen. We will live like they do in Mexico as we continue to have our wages lower while the prices of good continue to come up. We will continue to dwindle into a recession then into a depression until none of us will have money, except those that have all the money.

You can bet your life on it.

Tom

Tom--

Unfortunately, the 12:00-12:30 segment was geared towards movement of factories, the attendant foreign and domestic economic effects, etc. The 12:30-1:00 segment has been more China-focused.

Adam,

Watching the 2nd half now. I know an owner of a regional furniture chain. They just declared bankruptcy and are liquidating 6 stores now. He told me a year ago that North Carolina-based furniture manufacturers can't compete with China. He indicated that the Chinese built furniture isn't of the same quality as the American built, but that really doesn't matter. People today buy more for price than quality. That's what he said.

I talked with him the other day. He said that the liquidation sales are going well. He seemed bewildered by it all. He doesn't understand why people will by a $40k vehicle they keep for maybe 5 years, but then skimp $2k on a piece of furniture that they will have for over 20 years.

It's funny in the segment I watched when the Chinese wife of the rich executive got the delivery of their new couch from America. She commented on the great quality of the American-made products.

More and more Chinese seem to appreciate our American-built products, and less and less of our own people seem to appreciate them.

TJR

Just thought of something. If the patties come from mexico. They might have more protien in them. Ants, termites, weavels....

Maybe we can export some of our quality peanut butter products.

We are fast becoming a country that manufacturers nothing. When the time comes to build tanks, jeeps, cargo ships and planes for the next world war, we'll have to import them from our enemies.:(

ss

We are fast becoming a country that manufacturers nothing. When the time comes to build tanks, jeeps, cargo ships and planes for the next world war, we'll have to import them from our enemies.:(

And now you understand why the bailout of the US auto industry is happening.

Tom

caymen said.

The alternative is what is going to happen. We will live like they do in Mexico as we continue to have our wages lower while the prices of good continue to come up. We will continue to dwindle into a recession then into a depression until none of us will have money, except those that have all the money.

You can bet your life on it.

Tom, I totaly agree with you. I hope Im wrong but I have a vision of the USA a 3rd world living condition. The best we will have is a powerful technicaly advanced military. The common citizen will not have what our parents built life into. During the last century.

I hope Im wrong but I have a vision of the USA a 3rd world living condition.

Makes you think...Did the Roman Empire fall because of a global economy leveling out the playing field therefore destroying the empire as we know it and out of the rubble a new empire formed by people that did not care about everyone else.

Is this how the Egypt, Roman, Greek, etc. all fail. Are we on a crash course to disaster all because of our greed and arrogance?

Tom

Please STOP THE INSANITY !!!

Seriously, I always had a passion for York Peppermint patties. When I youngster in school they always sold them at the checkout line in the cafeteria. Of course now they can't sell anything like that in schools anymore...It can only be healthy food, like the tainted peanutbutter.

...Rich

Makes you think...Did the Roman Empire fall because of a global economy leveling out the playing field therefore destroying the empire as we know it and out of the rubble a new empire formed by people that did not care about everyone else.

Is this how the Egypt, Roman, Greek, etc. all fail. Are we on a crash course to disaster all because of our greed and arrogance?

Tom/quote]

Tom, I have been pondering this most of my adult life. Growing up in the 60's I saw the US at it's best and strongest. It has been in moral decline every since. We are heading towards times similar to those of Caligula, where all manners of excess and perversion are acceptable. Maybe this crisis will actually save us from that. Sometimes despair pulls people together. We need some common goal to rally around, and maybe that is what will happen.

If I was President, I sure as heck wouldn't be bailing out these huge companies. We have given them over a Trillion dollars already. How many jobs have been created with that money? NONE. How many new loans have been offered to small businessmen, homeowners, etc.? ALMOST NONE. We have not seen any benefit from all of these tax dollars being given away. These comapnies are just using our money to pay bills they already owed, and they only delay the coming bankruptcy that we all know will come. They are a bottomless pit. Let these failing banks and companies fail -- they are dinosaurs.

I would use that same money to help out small business owners, entrepreneurs and also invest in education and new infrastructure (roads and bridges, power production, and renovation projects). This crisis has been building for decades and bailing out some bank or automaker isn't going to do anything except place the government into more debt. There are no quick fixes. I say invest in the people, not the huge companies. The strength of America is its people, not GM, Citibank, or Circuit City.

Great discussion folks.

The way I look at it protectionism is not the answer. For decades we have seen the handwriting on the wall. We currently can't do certain jobs here as cheaply as other areas of the world.

So as I see it we either:

1. Accept that those types of jobs are gone and we now need to create new, better jobs that cannot be off-shored, and in the process we grow our economy with new types of goods and services the world has never seen before (lead)

or...

2. We figure out how to keep the jobs and deliver the same goods and services, but deliver them cheaper than the offshore competition while STILL retaining our current worker's standard of living.

Those are the two credible choices as I see them.

I think #1 has a better shot than #2. We've been doing #2 already in this country with automation, and that too displaces workers.

TJR

Regards, Tom/quote]

Tom,

I think the alternative is to provide direct investment to the people. By-pass the banks compltely, because they have only been hoarding the money we give them. The government already gives college grants to children in need. Expand the program to entrepreneurs who have a great idea, but no money to begin a business on their own. The GI Bill did this for soldiers after WWII and we then entered one of our most prosperous times.

If I was President, I also would also push to offer 100% tuition assistance to any kid wanting a four-year degree in Medicine, Science or Engineering. We are sorely lacking in America for these specialties, and these jobs are being filled by foreign workers from India, China, Vietnam, etc.

We need to invest our tax dollars, not on quick fixes, but instead invest in the future. If our children will be the ones to pay off these huge debts in the future, then we can best help them do that by investing in their education, and giving them a hand in providing jobs for themselves.

TJR,

Funny you call it protectionism. I am sure you are aware that many of our "trade partners" protect their intrests first.

Protectionism, as you would like to call it, is being used against us. Japan limits the number of cars imported into their country. China has rules about what can be made and sold in China and limits what goods can be imported.

Should we be the ones that get stung by this? Should we stand up and say "Protectionism is bad and we refuse to do it" while the other guys continue to do so? What will it take to convince any of us to look out for number one? Will we wait until we become a 3rd world country before we wise up. Are you waiting until your job gets sent overseas or your employer has the option to bring imported workers to perform your job for pennies on the dollar?

Never think that will happen?

How about your children? Are you setting your children up for failure in 50 years?

These are very real threats. I truly believe we are seeing the "growing pains" of this world economy and I truly believe this is only the tip of the iceberg. It is going to get worse.

There is no way you, or anyone else, can convince me moving jobs to another country creates jobs here. It may improve some industries, but it will not create more jobs than those that are lost.

Tom

Caymen said
There is no way you, or anyone else, can convince me moving jobs to another country creates jobs here. It may improve some industries, but it will not create more jobs than those that are lost.

I have never said that offshoring creates jobs.

Offshoring, if that is all a company or a country does will reduce jobs. No one wants that.

But just as the first tractor reduced farm jobs, and the first assembly line then factory automation after that reduced factory jobs, globalization will eliminate many service jobs in this country.

But, we grew our economy as we moved from the family farm to the industrial farm, and we grew our economy as we automated manufacturing, so too can we and should we grow our economy as we offshore.

Having 200 Asians putting "tops on a bottoms" in some Chinese factory is no different to me than buying a set-assembly machine for a factory in Rochester that does the same. Either way, time marches on and we have to adapt.

Ez-Pass has allowed toll plazas that used to hire a dozen toll takers to now hire only two. Time marches on.

In all of these cases we could have protected the family farmer that wanted to only work a hundred acres or so (or milk 20 cows), and we could have protected the factory worker from automation, or the toll-taker from Ez-Pass...but to what end?

Once technology, other companies, or even other countries find ways of doing things cheaper, history has shown that we can and do grow our economy by embracing those trends. That means moving on to alternative, new goods and services.

To one of your other common complaints...

If all this means that we become a country that no longer "produces" anything (which I don't think will happen, ever) then that's what it means. We will always produce what is economically viable for us to produce. If the goverment thinks that it is critical for our country to continue to manufacture certain things (or to run still mills, etc) for the safety of our country, then they should inact such measures. Business is business, safety of our country is something else.

So, to review:

- The family farm all but died as technology and mega farming took away a majority of the farming jobs in this country, YET, our economy grew

- Technology and manfacturing has advanced to displace countless factory workers with automation, YET during the time since the first assembly line our economy has grown

- Computers have displaced tens of thousands of secretaries, gal Fridays, and other such employees in typing pools, and the like, but since their inception our economy has grown.

- We keep finding new, better, less costly, less labor intensive ways of doing things in this country, since the days of the cotton gin, and one things remains...we keep growing our economy...

So, why should this new threat be any different than the threats of old?

If you put "tops on bottoms" in this country, you might want to figure out a new trade, just as the small family farmer did 50 (or more) years ago.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts