y pipe

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay Campbell

Reaction score
could a good exhaust shop not make a y pipe like the random tech. i mean is there anymore skill to making that than there is to making the rest of the exhaust system is there, other than welding in the bung for the o2 sensor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they could, IF they want to do the labor and time to do it...

Plus the RT y-pipe is stainless steel, SO the shop you use should use stainless and know how to work with it..

There was a member selling a brand new Y-pipe in the Swap and sell, I don't know if he ever sold it..

Todd Z

yeah i really like the random teck one and supporting the site and all. but i got all new exhaust from cat back with larger pipe chrome tip and flow 40 all for $170. it just seems like they wouldnt even charge me that much for a y pipe. and for that much of a difference i couldnt pay the $375 they cost from you. i mean that is if the quality can be the same. i cant pay the $375 anyway

Clay.

The quality won't be the same. Not even close. Then you also have to have the O2 bungs, and they'll likely want to weld it, instead of bolting like the Random Tech pipe, so it will more or less be permanent.

The only way you might save is by not using stainless steel. With the time taken to bend it, cut it, weld the Y together and the bungs, I think it's going to cost a bunch in labor. Not as simple as doing a cat-back.

Clay,

My reply had noting to do with making a sale or you supporting the site, I am simply saying you will be unhappy if they don't use stainless steel, and that the time in labor to do it may not be a savings...

Best thing is to let the exhaust shop look at the truck and give you a price......

Todd Z

Latest posts