XM or Sirrius?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana OBrien

Reaction score
I am askiing the wife for satelite radio for christmas, which one should I get?

I have no idea what the difference is?

do they both have the same channels available? I know XM has more channels, but it looks like most of them are traffic and weather.

xm offers more channels at a cheaper price and you get opie and anthyony...

Sirius is a little more expensive less channels and you can get Howard stern...

If not interested in the big names, get the XM...

Todd Z

For the most part, I think it's a toss-up

Music channels are similar, but there are some differences

XM has better traffic channels,

Sirius has NFL games,

XM has baseball games,

I have XM and my daughter has Sirius and we have compared both.

You might want to check the web sites for both to see if you can find anything more to your preferences. They both offer on-line trials.

PS. I would mention Stern or Opie and Anthony but I never cared for them anyway.

Go with Sirius. I love it. You get all the NFL and NHL games, and commercial free Howard Stern. What more could you ask for?

I've owned XM and listened to Sirius, and admit for my musical tastes, Sirius had more of what I liked.

Would I pay for either? Naw. Sound quality sucked compared to a CD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on what you want (i.e. sports, talk, news, comedy, etc). I have XM because of Opie and Anthony, MLB and NHL.

XM has MLB, NHL, NASCAR and college football, 2006 World Cup soccer and better units, IMO (Appearance, size, functionality, etc). 5 million subscribers and plan to have 6 million by the end of the year.

Sirius has NFL, NBA, NHL, English League soccer. Plans to have 3 million subscribers by the end of the year. They'd probably be at half that if Howard wasn't coming over to Sirius.

I think nascar is going to sirius soon.

I love the sirius...seriously:p

They have better program lock ups like NFL NBA NHL STERN AND OTHER SPORTS

they are about the same price

so XM doesnt have NFL?

I like talk radio, I wasnt to make sure that i can get coast to coast with Art Bell,Im not much of a baseball or NASCAR fan.

Ill check the websites, but it looks like Sirius may have my vote. now, I get to pick a reciever!

ok, well coast to caost is with George Noory, and its on XM. That settles that. even if it doesnt have NFL, Ill just have to pick the Vikes up on local broadcast.

problem solved.

plus I get the better traffic

Rich Stern, maybe, but Howard? Nah, I'll just listen to the air rushing through the sunroof and out the back. :D

Dana...I'm a NFL fan and really wish it was carried on XM. However, I spend most of my Sunday's watching the games. If I happen to be on the road, I switch to good ole FM radio for local broadcasting. I'm in Philly and we have the best NFL radio sports announcer - Merrill Reese. Plus, you can also tune into ESPN radio, FOX sports and a couple others to keep you updated on the scores.

as mentioned above they are similar. i have XM. the main reason i got XM was for opie and anthony. the music selection is great and after you listen , you probably will never again listen to commercial radio again. it cost me $ 13.00 per month ( that includes the activation fee ).

SPREAD THE O & A VIRUS :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have XM built in the ST through my AVIC-N1 and also have 2 other xm units in my house and i have the portable one. I like xm for MLB and also NHL is coming over to XM starting this year.

I have XM and love it. I'll never listen to those morning DJs on local radio again. The commute is so relaxing now, just listening to good music. :cool:

I have sirius and prefer it to xm for some of the talk stations. The xm talk stations were very treble heavy comparatively. When I purchased in august, the pricing for xm/sirius was identical.

I definitely recommend satellite - you can go to sirius.com and try out their music stations on a temporary pass to hear what they are - but not what they truly sound like. (online is even MORE compressed, therefore tinny)

The music stations are comparable to a cd, but lack some range and tend to be bass heavy.

Talk on sirius sounds more natural to me, the traffic/weather stations aren't worth much in the places I've tried them for both xm and sirius.

I don't remember the xm fansite, but the sirius one is www.siriusbackstage.com

Last month's popsci showed some nifty new tuner/tivo type devices for both xm and sirius.

I *really* like the S50 visually, but prefer to have direct preset buttons.

Sirius features a few more alt/heavy rock stations, BBC1, and multiple channels of NPR.

XM features more hiphop/r&b.

In the balance, I liked the music stations on xm fine, but we chose sirius for more npr and I listen to dance music quite a bit.

Latest posts