Xcal ordered, the wait beings. :)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcirtap

Reaction score
Can't wait to try this out everyone seems to enjoy theirs, my turn now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You will not be sorry. I have an 09 with V8. I have the Xcal, K&N cold air and Zabtec throttle body. All I can say is .... Wow.... it sure makes it fun. Only down side is keeping your foot out of it.

Mel:banana:

Even restraining myself from mashing the gas pedal in my post-xcal Gen 1, the driving experience was much more fun and the MPG mildly improved.

As I found out in Summer 2010 when I did my XCal tune, the first time the engine starts after the tune is successful, the AC would not engage. I was told that this was normal, after I asked about it on here, but it did lead to me doing my entire first post-xcal test drive with the fan only able to blow the hot, humid summer MD air on me. The second time the engine starts, and every subsequent time, the AC works as normal.

I don't know if the Gen 2 will do that, but just in case I figured I'd mention it.

That never happened to me in either my 03 or 09. Both xcal updated ok. What I did have trouble was updating my xcal for my 03 with updated tune files. The xcal for my 09 updated a lot better.

I think this will be my Christmas present. Are the custom tunes in addition to the purchase of the tuner?

I was given 3 custom tunes to be preloaded onto my XCal 3 as part of the purchase price, which I hear is par for the course from everyone else who made the plunge. Of course, this is what it was then, I don't know if it is any different now.

The only downside to the XCal is that there's a pretty good chance that you'll use it to load the tunes and then it'll sit around gathering dust. I haven't even taken mine out of the box in the ~2 years since I first used it, for example.

The only downside to the XCal is that there's a pretty good chance that you'll use it to load the tunes and then it'll sit around gathering dust. I haven't even taken mine out of the box in the ~2 years since I first used it, for example.

Ditto, but a life saver when you need to read trouble codes fast. The AP stores around here charge a service fee, or won't do it at all.

Thanks for all the comments. Was suppose to buy this awhile ago and kept putting it off... Already have Zabteck Tb, Magnaflow exhaust and K&N intake. From the sound of it this will tie everything together. In case anyone was wonder Yes was ordered from sponsor Torrie from unleashed tuning :). And does still include 3 custom tunes. From sound of it 87 perf seems to be what most like. Right?

Yeah can see this gathering dust after, but good for reading codes like someone mentioned since no place here does that free, and good for when i finally get some larger tires. :)

The 87 performance tune is what I've been using and enjoying. I still haven't done any exhaust mods, just the Zabteck cold air intake and throttle body. TBH I haven't even tried out my 93 performance tune yet.

Even if it sits on the shelf for the next 3 years...it's still worth every penny!

First time you stomp it down and the shifts actually make the truck snap, you won't regret the cost.

When you say three "custom tunes" are preloaded onto it, do you mean that there are three tunes set specifically to your vehicle or are there three cookie cutter preloaded tunes that are great for stock to mildly modded Sport Tracs. I only wonder because I really only need this to correct my speedometer. Better performance or gas mileage is just an added bonus. So, would I get to specify that I have 35" tires on my truck or are the tunes already preselected?

Hugh- Torrie only sells the X3 (3000) with custom tunes, not the SF3 (3015) with preloaded "cookie cutter" tunes.

Give him your VIN, list of mods, and preference of performance, towing, or economy tunes with available octanes.

The speedo is calibrated with the user adjustable options, as well as disabling the rev and speed limiters.

Yes, Torrie asked me for my vin and all my vehicle mods so that he could fit the tunes to them.

The xcal itself allows for certain modifications to be done by you, yourself. Eddie 04 mentioned that you could change the ignition timing yourself with the xcal, if memory serves. I'm also positive that the xcal allows you to adjust the speedometer yourself, but someone more in the know will have to weigh in on that topic as I've only run stock size tires on my 4x2 .

KL,

I have passed thru the menu, and seen the ignition timing. It is adjustable, but I leave that where torrie set it.

I have used my xcal to bump my idle to 850rpm, in gear no AC. 950rpm AC on in gear.

Their is a place in the menu to enter revs/per mile of your tires. To correct the speedo. There are other things. I just havent tinkered that much.

Great! Thanks everyone.

The one feature I don't think I'll need is removing the speed limiter.:bwahaha:

The speed and rev limiters should be removed (or set much higher, as the case is) out of principle. I even ran up against a few somewhat practical reasons to remove the limiters.

Latest posts