X-Plan pin for Mazda 3 for Daughter's 16th BDay

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Hale

Reaction score
Former ST owner who downgraded to Honda Civic Si (love the stick and the gas mileage!) last December. Daughter has upcoming 16th birthday two days after Christmas and I would love to reward her for being a great kid and an excellent student with her request for a Mazda 3. By chance do any of you still have X-plan pins left for this year? Happy holidays to all! BTW, the ST went to a good home in the Boston area (family friends) and they are loving the '01!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Nice gift!

Want to adopt me?

P.S. I don't have any x-plan pins. But if you can get the dealer to cough up a copy of the invoice, tell them you will buy the Mazda 3 at invoice price, less additonal rebates. That's pretty much what x-plan will get you. Do this negotiation over the phone, and tell them to call back when they will accept your terms, or not call back at all. They will call back. All dealers are desperate.

Apparently not too desperate because I've also been looking for the wife (likes the Civic as well) and direct contacts as well as links through Costco's buyer's plan result in one price being quoted then when ready to pull the trigger they then include the dealer options (never requested) or fail to get back at all. Again, these are with regard to price quotes that THEY have already provided.

Yes, she is a special daughter and my plan is to get her a reliable mode of transportation to get her through the last two years of HS and then four years of college. Frankly, my Si was supposed to be her car then I would get another one but she is not a fan of the stick (can't be MY daughter).

Im with you TJR. Didnt matter how good I was or grades. My Dad made us buy our own first car and Insurance. Also worked and paid for my own college. He said it was a lesson in financial responsibility. He did feed, cloth and house me after high school and during college.

I guess I grew up in a different era.

Teasip, your intent is very generous, but as a father who has lived through it, reconsider purchasing a new car for you daughter. Find a used 2 year old car still in warranty. This car will easily last the 6 years you intend it for. Kids will be kids, and although my son was as good and responsible as your daughter, he was still a kid. I was brought up more like Fast Eddie and had to purchase my own car and provide insurance so I have experienced both sides. The daughter will be just as delighted with a 2 year old car as she will with a new car. Always great to hear stories of children that have excelled at growing up...:)

I feel bad to say that you have to reward behavior that is doing the right thing, or things that your are suppose to, BUT anymore I think its common. By her the car if you can afford it. I'm 21 and on my 18th birthday my old man bought me a 2004 XLT ST leftover, yea she was brand new with 7 miles on 'er. I've never been off the straighten arrow and am not a "spoiled brat," my old man will tell you he doesn't regret it at all.

CHRIS

Teasip,

Don't let the folks get to you.

If you can afford it, and college is already paid for, and your retirement account is flush, and you don't mind fender benders on a new car, then by all means, get your daughter a new car.

TJR

I used the Costco plan on our Sienna- paid a bit more than invoice, but I was happy to see that the dealer had to line out the $899 "protection package" and the $299 "document preparation fee" which usually have to be argued over. Congrats to your daughter- at 16, my behavior was worthy of a used AMC Pacer.......but my folks got me a Mustang convertible.

90% of new drivers get in a wreck within 6 months!

One thing I didn't mention that my son totaled his car during his first year of college. Had dropped his phone on the floor and rear-ended a van. Only his pride was hurt but the car was destroyed. That is why a reasonably new car is just as good for kids...

My daughter totaled her first car less then 6 months after she started driving. Thank god it was a used vehicle that I got a good deal on. I'm with Les. I would never buy a teenager something brand new until they showed they were a responsible driver. Later, after my daughter got into college I DID buy her a brand new Mazda 3 which she still owns and loves. It's got a manual tyranny. Forced both my kids to get sticks. I believe it makes them pay more attention to their driving. Hard to talk on a cell phone while shifting.

Bought my last girl a brand new Eclipse for her 16th, great Kid, great grades.

Never again, car was trashed in two yrs.

When my son gets old enough, I'm likely going to buy him a brand new Mustang for his 16th birthday.

Then again, this is the one I'm talking about:

[Broken External Image]:

I have a 2008.5 mazda 3 hatchback.. It's what they call stormy blue. It's a great car, but after 7 months of driving it i found out i'm not a car person. Send me a message, maybe we could work out a deal. Like, take over payments plus $1500. Payments are around $323. It has 9050 miles on it now.

When I got married, my parents gave me a Lexus and my wife a mink coat. Of course my Lexus was about 14 inches long, but her coat was real, although a hand-me-down from my grandmother! At least she could actually wear hers!

I always had old cars until I could get out on my own. One or two years old is not old at all. Mine were normally in the 10-20 year old range! I'd go for the used car myself, unless you've already screwed up and told her she's getting a new car!

Good choich, get her a AAA card, put a set of those curb feelers on the car as she will trash the rims for sure.Teach her how to ck the fluids and tires when she is off to college, buy her a good tire gauge.

My kids still driving her Eclipse, has served her well thru H.S and 4 yrs of college, of course I have to maintain the car.

Not dissen, but girl kids don't think about air, antifreeze, tranny fluid and motor oil.

They Just drive:) good luck.

Latest posts