Wrecked my new Trac with <1800 miles.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
Came over a hill and couldn't stop in time due to a bunch of cars lined up for one to turn left. Pavement was wet- hit the brakes, saw that I was gonna hit, so I steered up over the curb into the yard. Didn't quite get 'er out of the way- smacked my left front corner into the rear of a pickup. So far damage is at $3,300 with two estimates.

I'm not real happy right now, but thankful no one was hurt and that I have good insurance!

If it's any consolation, my 2000 Mustang that I bought for $20k has had nearly $50k in damage done to it, and it's as solid as the day I took delivery. If you have a skilled and trusted body shop, and your insurance company does what you pay those insurance premiums for, your ST should be as good as new.

:banana:

" I bought for $20k has had nearly $50k in damage done to it,"

sounds odd that it would be repaired. insurance companies would not pay more then 70% then the vehicles value.

LOL, I buy mine wrecked. That way if something happen it's ......oh well, fix it again. My wife's 99 Mustang was bought totaled and been totaled twice since. I have $0 in it, actually have made $$$ and it's still driven every day. Next time I'll let it go though, 170K miles is enough.:banana:

The first wreck was with a taxi that ran a red light and tore the front of the car off. State Farm let me down big time; they made no effort to collect from the guilty party, and tried to screw me on the repair estimate. But my repair guy held their feet to the fire, and they ended up paying $25k to fix a car worth $15k after I drove it off the lot.

If State Farm had been honest, they could have totaled the car, collected the money from the taxi driver, and still have me paying them premiums for auto, health and homeowner's insurance. By trying to rip me off, they ended up being the loser. It would have been nice to have had a new car, but like I said, the old one drives as well as ever.

The rest of the damage came mostly from parking lot hit-and-runs.

I love watching people go back and forth making absolute assertions.

Adding a "usually", or an "often", or even a "most of the time", goes a long way towards making your claims much more probable, instead of simply being incorrect as when stated in the absolute sense.

Gavin,

Sorry to hear about that. Tough going over a hill and not knowing there is an intersection on the other side where cars might be backed up to turn at.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
"Insurance companies pay up to 100% of the vehicles value in repairs."

geee, i guess i must be the only person that when one of my vehicles has damaged more then 70% of the vehicles value it is deemed totaled. :banghead:

Gary you are not the only one:

Once the cost of repairs of a damaged vehicle reaches 70% of the estimated value of that vehicle most insurance companies request that they be notified. At that point it is the discretion of the insurance company to either proceed with the estimate or total the vehicle. It is my experience that depending on the age of the vehicle usually they will total a vehicle at that point.

Mustang Guy:

Not sure who your insurance agent was but I have been with State Farm for a long time. They have never ceased to amaze me at the responsiveness and assistance that they provide.

My daughter having had 2 accident, one of which resulted in the vehicle being totaled, they handled very professionally. State Farm paid the retail value of the car because of the condition plus sold the car back to me for scrap at a ridiculously low price.

I had another vehicle damaged by a driver with cut rate coverage. They not only paid the estimate for OEM replacement parts but also handled all the legal issues that pertained to the recovery. My deductible, they placed as a debit to my account and once the recover was settled they removed the debit.

Through all of this my premiums went up a total of $25.00 overall. They insure everything we own and all our vehicles are financed with State Farm Bank.

No I don't work for State Farm just adding another side to the story.

Gavin:

Ask for OEM parts and remember you don't have to accept a sub-standard job, they have to satisfy you. :supercool:

jeff,

thanks. i know with my fleet this comes up at times. sometimes on vehicles that are only a few months old and they total it at 70%.

also very good point....

"Ask for OEM parts and remember you don't have to accept a sub-standard job, they have to satisfy you."

The threshold for a total loss is different from company to company. I've seen them totaled for less than 60%. Some base it off of what the salvage value will be.

State Farm used to be a fine insurance company until Ronald Reagan's "voodoo economics" poisoned the minds of corporate executives in the US, and the laws that used to protect consumers went away. As long as insurance companies, banks etc. treat their customers as cash cows, informed customers like myself will treat them with equal disdain. I hope that the words "equitable business deal" will come back into fashion one day.

FYI my State Farm car insurance policy had 80% of Blue Book value set as their threshold for writing off a wrecked car as totaled. I guess it varies by company.

P.S. The State Farm agent played no role in this AFAIK.

:back2topic:

I have to just add that I have been a State Farm customer for over 20 years now and would never switch to anyone else. They have always been superbly responsive and the rates are great for me in Virginia. I cannot complain. My agent is great and I have great respect for her and her team.

I have to just add that I have been a State Farm customer for over 20 years now and would never switch to anyone else.

Up until the past year I would have agreed with this statement, and I've been a customer of theirs for over 40 years, and my parents before that. In S. Florida the homeowners coverage has risen a great deal. I finally switched companies and pay less than 1/3 what State Farm quoted. As far as car insurance, they were always competitive, now it seems they would just prefer to leave Florida. The only reason I still use them is because my bike insurance with them is fairly cheap, but the insurance on the ST is way over priced.

state farm is also cutting back home owners insurance on long isle. they are moving the flood zone further in cancelling coverage for existing policy holders.

i also have a bad taste in my mouth about state farm. the person who hit me while i was a pedestrian has state farm. the agent was nasty when i called to get info at the time of the accident.

i have had allstate for over 25 years and are totally happy with their service and price.

the only thing is they cant compete with home owners insur on my florida house.

all other home owners, auto and life are thru them.

YUP, NY is 70%...

Todd Z

NY may be 70%, but fact is not all states have the same laws as NY does.

Theresa's Pontiac was within $200.00 of repairs exceeding vehicle value. Theresa wanted her Pontiac repaired, so yes, insurance companies will pay up to vehicle value in repairs.

Gary, believe it or not, there are other states than NY and Florida.

Tom

Caymen said:
...so yes, insurance companies will pay up to vehicle value in repairs.

Put the word "some" in front of, and the words "in some states" after "insurance companies" above and your statement would be more accurate, I suspect, and less open for discussion.

Caymen also said:
...believe it or not, there are other states than NY and Florida.

Well, as long as we are pointing out the obvious for the benefit of others, let me do the same...

Words have meanings. Mean what you say and say what you mean and all goes more smoothly. As "typed", above, you don't seem to be saying what you mean.

TJR

"Gary, believe it or not, there are other states than NY and Florida."

not true, the only state i want to be in is the sunshine state :grin:

Latest posts