Won't start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David j

Reaction score
Help. Info. Parked Trac in garage 2 days ago. Went out to drive it today and it won't start. Turns over fine, have half a tank of gas. No smell of gas when you crank it. Any suggestions? I'm thinking fuel pump but really just guessing. Only has 31K miles on it.

mine did the same thing, it's in the garage now, pretty sure it's the fuel pump. the main diff is mine hs 235,000 on it..

try resetting the inertia switch up under the passenger side dash, also try cranking with the pedal to the floor, as the IAC valve might be stuck closed

Hmm...2001 Trac, 31K miles. That's mighty low miles for a 13 year old car. I'd pull the fuel pump relay (underhood fusebox) and check the spades for corrosion. With key in On position (before engaging starter) do you hear fuel pump operating? Just for grins - how long since fuel filter was last changed? Checking fuel press at the rail would tell you if fuel pump's working correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Dads explorer had 60k miles at 10 years old when the fuel pump went out. I would try the relay and inertia switch too before going for the pump. My ST has been having the same issue about cranking but not starting on occasion until yesterday when the pump completely stopped working. 249 dollar part.

Latest posts