wire size and amp rating

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brock Lagunas

Reaction score
I want to install a new 10 circuit fuse block to run accesories off of such as neons, lights, radios, stuff like that. the max amp rating is 90amps. What size wire should I go with to run from the battery to the block? I dont need a wire thick enough to run 90amps since i will never run all 90amps through that block. I have some 10awg and 8awg. What do yall guys think?

10 gauge will carry 32 amps, in free air, depending on the insulation rating. 8 ga will carry 56 amps, and so on.... just fuse it properly so ya don't burn it down... HTH

If you already have the 10 and 8 why not run the 8?

If I remember correctly 8 is only good for 40 amps though.

well the wire im using is high grade audio wire. I have a bunch that im not using. I just thought I might be able to get away with using the stuff I have then to go and buy new stuff. Right now all the only things that will be running off of the block will be... cb radio, 8 neons, a pair of strobes, my head unit, 3 relays for lights (but the lights draw from the battery not the block), and my alarm.

And make sure any ground wires you run to this system are as thick as your positive leads,

or run them directly to a chassis ground (preferred) with sufficient AWG rating, or this could be

a weak link, causing resistance (= heat). Relays are always a good idea in any

automotive application requiring over 25-30 amps continuous draw (Motors, Fog Lamps,

Amps, etc...). If the audio wire you are referring to is something like the "Monster Audio

Wires", made of copper, that should be sufficient, if the AWG meets the above specs!;)

Latest posts