Wipers Intermittant

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Gamble

Reaction score
Today, I needed the wipers and they only half work.

Washer function with three wipes = OK

On in the fast speed = OK

On in the normal speed or any of the delay settings, they stop mid sweep.

Any ideas? I figured with wipers it was all or nothing... guess I'm wrong.

What exactly do you mean by 'mid sweep'? If you mean they stop in the middle of the windshield (possible obstructing the view of the road), then that is definitely a problem.

On the other hand, if they stop just shy of reaching the park position and then start up again after the delay, that may be normal operation. Many wiper system don't go all the way back to the park position between sweeps under normal operation.

2001-03 check under hood power distribution box #45A Wiper hi/low relay and #45B Wiper run/park relay (Pages 131-135)

2004-05 does not have these two relays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or try breaking the bolts that hold the motor in place and retighten them for a fresh ground. I had to crimp a coupla ring connectors on a wire and to get a better ground on an old wiper motor a few years back. Hope its something simple. :haveabeer:

I went back out and tried the wipers again.

They will run in either normal or fast modes, and if using the washer function. But, when you twist the stalk from on through that intermittent zone, they immediately stop where they are (roughly, see next comment). They won't park.

In any intermittent setting the wipers move about 4 inches and stop in the drivers line of sight.

To get the wipers out of the line of sight, I switch them to the first run position and quickly turn them off once near the park position. That puts them low enough that they don't obstruct the view.

I tried repositioning the tilt steering and there was no change. In the 13 years, I doubt I have moved the tilt more than four or five times.

Thanks,

Larry

There is a cap you can pry off on the end of the turn signal switch if you want to try and get some corrosion off the contacts but you have to be careful when you try to put it back together. I think there is a small spring to keep an eye on. :driving:

Update....

The problem went away. Didn't do anything with a wrench. Checked the fuses and all that was good. Repositioned the tilt wheel and nothing changed. But, we were having snow and it had to keep messing with the switch to keep the windshield clear. It stopped and I thought it had failed for good. So, I kept with the flipping the switch from full speed to off and it would move the blades slightly.

I flipped it to high speed where it had worked before and it restarted with a crunching sound from over in the motor area. I'm ordering a new motor because I expect it to fail completely next.

Latest posts