Wiper Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Kuechle

Reaction score
My wipers won't shut off. They are stuck in the low on setting, I can get them to go to high but not off or intermittent.

Any ideas??

Thanks

JP

Here's a cheap fix.

Put a switch in wired in at the fuse box.

I had to do this to an old CJ-7 many moons back.

it's cheap and will work.

Ron

Remove the fuse for awhile. My interior light and seatbelt buzzer wouldn't shut off. I decided just to remove the fuse until I could get to the shop to find out what was going on. Several days went by and then, in a terential down pour, I discovered that the fuses that control the interior light and buzzer also control the wipers. Well, I was forced to pull over and replace the fuse. When I did the interior light nor the buzzer had there problems anymore. Computers! You can't live with them and you can't live without them. No... that's women... no, you can't shoot them. Well, your not supposed to. Oh, excuse me.

My girlfriends mustang has just started doing something like this.....while shes driving the wipers come on the go off...the longest they have been on if for 5 mins.....The switch or something maybe going bad I'm thinking and its thinks the wipers are being turned on.

tyler: what year mustang?? There is a TSB on a bunch of 99 models fords for this intermittent wiper problem. (my dw has a 99 sable). Calls for replacing the MFS (turnsignal/wiper switch) with an improved part number. Of course the part is 92.00 (75 from Rusty) and now I am out of waranty, to bad I didn't know about the tsb when I took it in under warranty and the dealer couldn't duplicate the problem.

JP: I took my wiper switch on the sable apart and cleaned th contacts inside by taking a small pen knife and popping the cap off the turn signal switch, taking it apart, cleaning with alcohol, and putting back together. Not hard to do, just be very careful, there is a small pin in there that if you lose it, you are screwed. You could have a small piece of crap inside the switch not allowing it to shut off.

Try to tilt the steering wheel. The wire harness is a tight fit and sometimes losses connection at various locations.

Wiper motors are funny in that they normally get power before the switch. So the switch is fed by the motor and that is how it regulates the speed. Also common if the motor has lost it's ground connection or it is a poor ground connection.

TnB here again with the G.M. analogy. My (and many) 1987-89 Blazer and GMC

S-series trucks had this problem. The G.M. tsb's referred to it as "Phantom Wipe".

I guess because you never knew when it was coming! You would go to pull the

MFS (Multi-Function Switch) to flash the brights, and the wipers would either

mist-wipe, or come on for a minute or two. On the G.M.'s, it was a worn or

corroded contact in the MFS switch/lever.

Latest posts