Wiper Arm Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynthia Grant

Reaction score
RE: 2003 ST 4WD

For years I've noticed that the windshield wiper on the driver's side never does a good job of clearing the windshield across the whole length of the wiper. This is true regardless of what type of wiper blades I put on (I've tried many). I just saw a post about changing a wiper arm, which made me wonder if others have had this problem.

Does anyone know if the wiper arm tension can be adjusted to make it contact the windshield better? The problem area is the "right" half of the driver side wiper (as you look at it from inside the truck, when the wipers are turned off), which is supposed to clear the area that is directly in the driver's line of vision. BTW, the passenger side wiper works perfectly!

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this!

CindyG

No adjustment for spring tension. Replace the wiper arm.

Switch the arms, See if its better.

ALSO the 18" is the right size, you can go 19 but sometimes causes issues.

Todd Z

Had similar issues back in 2010 with my '02. Replaced both arms simply slide off and on. Also, have determed that the single blade arched style does not work well the the rack and roll of the windshield, and that the older fashioned metal frame works better. My Bosch Stell Tech blades have worked great without streaks since then.

I think I have regular ANCO blades on mine, and have no complaints.

Last winter I asked for new wiper blades on the straight truck I drive for work, and Penske put the heavy duty winter blades on it. It was snowing when I picked it up, and they worked great - around town. Out on the highway or in the wind they wouldn't stay in contact with the windshield as it curves, and left at least half of my line of sight uncleared. Sounds backwards that the thicker, heavier blade would lift off the windshield, but I think they were just too stiff to follow the curve with the wind of highway speeds. Had them changed back to the regular style blades which work great. My point is, the type of blade makes a difference sometimes.

I have rain-x 19" on mine for 3 years. Best I ever had. They came with a package of treatment for the glass. With the chemical and dust fallout in houston area. These are the best. Seems as if the wipers also constantly apply glass conditioner.

Plus I got them @ Big Lots For 50% off. $10 each.

By now I would be throwing others away. Including high priced bosch...

Sure Wipe springs put extra tension on the arms. I have them on all my vehicles. :driving:

The other thing that helps but is hard to do this time of year if you live in the North, is to scrub the windshield with Bon-Ami cleanser. It MUST be Bon-Ami so it won't scratch the glass. This will get off the built up road grit. Then rinse it, dry it, and put on a couple coats of Rain-X. I do that on the headlights too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just replaced the driver side wiper arm. Yep. The old one had gotten weak. The new one wipes completely.

Latest posts