Windows tablet or Android tablet?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
2 part question:

1) which tablet is better? windows or android?

2)Rue's laptop died and Christmas is around the corner. All he does is cruise the net and download music. Should I get him a tablet or just get him a cheap laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an anroid tablet. I didnt like the OS. Im too used to windows. So I gave the tablet away. Havent replaced it. Really dont need one. If I do it will be windows.

If he doesnt mind packing a laptop around. He might rather like what he had. IMO, a laptop is more useful..

I have a tablet that runs Andriod. Took some time to adjust my habits but now it is pretty much all I use. I like that I can get music or books and then bluetooth a speaker into it and have a ready made travel companion. Tablet is definately better for not feeling like you have to be totally stationary.

Typing in info is not the same and takes some adjustment.

My guess would be that if music is part of the equation then you want to identify one that will allow you to expand the storage. Check the "Hardware" section of the review in the attached link.

LaRue,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S III, Android smartphone and a Google Nexus-7 Android tablet...I love them. I have had a Blackberry phone for the past 6-7 years and thought they were great, but a year ago I decided to switch to an Android smartphone and changed cellular companies because I was looking for more bang for my buck. When I got my phone I only downloaded a few security apps, but when I got my Nexus-7 Tablet I discovered a whole new world of very useful apps.

There are far more apps for Android devices than Apple or Windows mobile devices, and they are free or cheaper. I think the most I have ever paid was maybe $3.00. Most apps are interchangeable on my Android devices and automatically transfer/share data between devices.....so I can schedule or store something on my tablet, and it also shows up on my phone, etc.

I did not find there was much of a learning curve if any...the Android devices are very intuitive.... something Windows is not. Also, most Android tablets are cheaper than Apple or Windows Tablets. I bought my 16GB Nexus-7 for about $250 a year ago because it was rated as the fastest tablet with one of the best screens and the most features. It was listed as the best value Tablet for the money in most reviews and head to head comparisons.

After I got my Nexus-7 Tablet, I thought that this how the PC should have been from the beginning! It is truly a Consumer Product that anyone can use, and not for geeks only, but geeks can still get satisfaction from digging into the OS in more detail if they want.

I ended up getting my daughter's and 4 grandchildren Nexus-7 tablets for Christmas...they love them too. My daughter's thought they would prefer a larger 10" screen tablet, but when the got the 7" Nexus-7 they were amazed at how sharp and clear the screen was, and the size was perfect for putting in their purse. I understand that's why Apple came out with the iPad mini, because of the convenience and popularity of the smaller 7" tablets.

I also like Android because it is an Open operating system that is not so proprietary and tightly controlled like Apple or Windows OS.

...Rich

Android is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better for what it was written to do, mainly surf the net and download media.

Never going to replace a dedicated Windows workstation, but how many of us really need all that.

Oh, and there aren't any "viruses" on Android yet. Lots of malware and adware, but they are just a pain in the butt, not damaging. Can't say that about Windows (as I had to spend 4 hours getting rid of Sweetlink this weekend on my Windows laptop.

I can claim to have tried them all. I switched from iPhone (since first iPhone in 2007) to a Samsung Galaxy S III earlier this year; then to a Galaxy S IV after my S III failed to float in the lake. Unless I see some major changes to Apple software (or their lawsuit manages to cripple Android devices) then I won't leave Android anytime soon. There was a learning curve to Android but I loved every minute of it since it had an answer to just about every headache Apple gave me.

I'm in the market for a tablet too, and am leaning towards one of the Samsung or Nexus tablets in the 7 to 8 inch range. I have a Nook color that I read and peruse magazines on, but its quirks are getting annoying, and any other function (apps, surfing the web, etc.) are a major PIA and disappointment once you've tried just about any other tablet out there. There are IPads out the yinyang in my house, as the kids and wife all have their own. I pick them up for a quick internet search from time to time, but don't use them a lot.

As for Windows - I currently have a Surface tablet. My wife bought it for work, but then upgraded to the Surface Pro. She loves it, but it's a work tablet, and she's not planning on dropping her iPad anytime soon. I tried to like the Surface, and used it for about 2 weeks. It has all the most popular apps I needed, so I wasn't missing anything I was used to on Apple or Android. I liked the idea of being a one-system man, and the Surface synced seamlessly with my work PC. I say synced, but it's like you can go from one to the other as long as you're on the Cloud. But, it was too heavy to be a bed-time reader, it isn't as "quick" to go from app to app as Android or Apple, and it it's lay-out was just too nutty for me. Windows 8 is like having a bunch of colored stickies all over your desk. I'll probably sell it on eBay soon.

Got wife an Android Galaxy tablet nearly two years ago, with a minimum 24-month cell data plan for her Christmas. I'll bet the two of us combined have used this thing about an hour in the last 22 months. I am so glad the 24-month period is expiring next month and I will be able to cancel that $20~ tablet data plan.

My brother gave her an old hand-me-down Asus netbook because it was too slow. I wiped it clean, reloaded Windows 7 on it, and it still works great. The netbook gets 10x more use than the Galaxy tablet- even with the cell data plan.

For me, my Galaxy 3 phone does nearly everything I want, but I do use my home PC about an hour a month for spreadsheets and documents. Our home PCs are getting a little long in the tooth, even with Windows 7 64-bit and 8GB of RAM. I foresee a day soon when one decent laptop will replace the two PCS and the netbook and the tablet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Gavin, I also have a small 8" Acer Netbook. It works great and I used to use it as my traveling computer. I had an extended life, 9 Cell battery and used it to check email, listen to musinc and play solitaire while traveling from Dallas, to LAX and on to Hawaii. Total travel time was 12 hours with layovers, etc and although I did not have it on the whole trip I still had plenty of battery power when I got to the condo in Hawaii.

I now find that my Nexus-7 Tablet is even better than my netbook for traveling. It's much lighter in weight, I don't have to carry a brick to recharge the battery, and it's significantly faster than my Windows XP netbook.

When I first got my Nexus-7, I could play with it almost constantly for 2 days before the battery needed to be charged. With USB ports in vehicles, you can easily charge it while driving.

My batter is a year old now, and is only lasting a little over one day...but I have loaded a lot of apps on it, and like cellphones, more apps take more power. I have a leather FolioCover which shuts off the screen when you close the cover and turns it back on instantly when the cover is opened...That really saves a lot of battery power.

Also, I have a small wireless BlueTooth keyboard that works with both my Nexus-7 and my Samsung Galaxy smartphone. When I turn on the keyboard it connects with either device and I just have to put in the access code for the device I want to connect to the keyboard, and it's connected immediately.

...Rich

Latest posts