windchill factor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason vocaty

Reaction score
Does anyone really know if the windchill effects vehicles? I know the windchill is a factor on bare skin but does it effect our cars also? and on that note does it effect animals? just putting it out there for discussion.
Hi -4 F

Lo -20 F

Sunny, breezy and FRIGID. Coldest wind chills -35 to -45

There was a post about this a while ago,,

Wind takes the heat off any thing, it does not necessarily make it colder, but it does effect it in my eyes...

Only reason I say that is I know it effects construction equipment and all the other stuff i deal with on a daily basis..

Todd Z

-22 F forecast tonight. Wind chill to -40. I'm glad I have a semi-heated garage. My ST will be happy to be in its 40 degree house.

windchill only applies to the cooling of the skin. A warm engine will cool off quicker when parked if the wind is blowing, but it will NOT cool below the ambiant temperature. So on a cold vehicle if it is -20 and the windchill is -30 the vehicle will not go below -20.

From wiki

Wind chill is the apparent temperature felt on exposed skin, which is a function of the air temperature and wind speed. The wind chill temperature (often popularly called the wind chill factor) is always lower than the air temperature, except at higher temperatures where wind chill is considered less important.

Here is an article on windchill impact (or not impacting) an automobile.

Wind chill is felt on the skin as the skin has moisture.

Our vehicle will feel the true cold, but not the wind chill factor UNLESS there is moisture involved, such as a recent car wash or something like that.

Good grief-thats cold!

It will be aroumd zero tonite in the area north of Savannah that I live in.I do not envy you those sub-zero temps.

A WIND CHILL WARNING remains in effect for the entire 27 News viewing area through noon on Friday. Dangerously cold wind chills of -35 to -45 will be possible through noon on Friday. Skies will be sunny today, but temperatures will not get above freezing. Clear skies and light winds tonight will allow temperatures to fall extremely low and, even with the light winds, wind chills will still be as low as -45. Bundle up and do not leave any skin exposed. Stay indoors if possible and bring pets inside as well.
well that's Wisconsin

The answer, as some have hinted at, is mixed. Wind-chill factor, in the sense discussed in weather reports, only applies to exposed skin. It does not impact inanimate objects. However, that doesn't mean that the wind has no impact. Wind--regardless of whether it's caused by actual wind moving the air relative the object, or by the object's movement causing the object to move relative to the air--will cause that object to approach the ambient temperature of the air more quickly.