Wind shield replacement - A new experience

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anupam Routh

Reaction score
Greetings! The windshield of my ST was stuck by a big stone from a truck two to three years back. I did not want to replace the wind shield at that time. I knew there will be more windshield damage as I traveled for work through a road where lot of constructions were going on. The wind screen got hit by many stones during last few years. Recently, I replaced the wind screen after calling the local insurance agent of Nationwide. The agent told me to go ahead. Nationwide is my insurer for my car and house for last 25 years. One glass company came and replaced the windshield and I paid the deductable amount of one hundred dollars. This is the way it was done in the past.

Today I get a call from the claims dept of Nationwide. The agent from head office ( not the local agent) told me that I should have informed the insurance company at the time when the stone chip hit my windshield few years back. I have got a suspicion that Nationwide is trying not to pay for the windshield. What is your opinion?

Did any of the member had any such experience as me? Incidentally, how much it costs to replace a windshield? Should I transfer my insurances - auto and house to another company? With thanks.

Me, I would. You have been giving them money for 25 years, they should not hassle over a windshield if that is all you have claimed over the years.

Although, I would not have told them it happened a long time ago, i would have said it happened the other day.

Of course they dont want to pay for it. I never herd of any insurance company paying for the damage to the windshield. Insurance companies never want to pay for anything. It usually averages around 200 dollars to replace a windshield. Anywhere from 60 and up dollars to replace it. It really depends on hte car and year.

as long as they pay for it then its all good. If they dont try solving it. Then you might want to change companies.

You need to read your policy. You probably agreed to report all claims within 15 days of their occurrance. How can you blame the insurance company when you don't hold up your end of the bargain and perform what you agreed to do?

I had a crack in my wind shield from a rock thrown on the highway from a dump truck and I called state farm insurance, and they paid to have it replaced and i didn't have to pay anything b/c i have full coverage. the wind shield price was $375

you can threaten to leave, but the only person that may suffer is you.... The local agent may be able to help you out a Little if you threaten to leave....

But I also agree I would have told them it happened yesterday....

Call local places and get pricing, BUT if you have glass coverage they are supposed to replace it....

I know here in NY I can just go to the glass place and get it replaced the windshield, sign 1 Piece of paper and then they deal with the insurance company...

Know any kids in the neighborhood playing baseball today ????? :lol::lol:

Todd Z

Nationwide insurance sucks. They are scumbags and I wish the company would go bankrupt.

Dump them ASAP. also Avoid Allstate insurance like AIDS.

Tom

In NJ, depending on the insurance company, they will replace your windshield once. After that it's up to you. I need to replace mine, heavily pitted from rocks. the quotes I've gotten so far are in the $500 range. 6 years ago I replaced the windshield in my Toyota, cost was $150 with tip!

We've replaced it twice. Once for $190, and once for $175. Both times the crack grew so fast it was unrepairable. Paid cash both times. It seems Geico will pay to repair the windshield, but replacing it falls under the deductible.

I paid $180.00 to replace my windshield.

They cam to the house to do it. They used genuine Carlite glass. I have a lifetime warranty on the install.

If it leaks, they fix it. No questions asked.

Carlite glass is made by Ford Motor Company and they are the only auto manufacturer that makes their own glass.

Tom

Ill agree with the all state blows comment. My trac got hit by another all state customer it took them over a month to get my trac back. I was super pissed.

I just checked out carlite's website. They use Diamond autoglass to do their installations. I got a quote for my windshield. Here's the info

Your Vehicle Information

Year: 2002

Make: Ford

Model: EXPLORER SPRT TRAC

Body: 4 Door Utility

Part: Windshield

Features: Windshield (Solar Ctrl)

Tint: Green Tint/Blue Shade

Your Quote

Price: Price: $292.65

Discount: -$20 (Online Discount*)

Total: $272.65 + Tax

Caymen, I'm going to come visit you so I can get my windshield done for $180! :D

I'm in NJ and the closest place is in NY state. I threw my parent's address in to get a quote in Albany, GA and this is what I got:

Your Quote

Price: Price: $263.19

Discount: -$20 (Online Discount*)

Total: $243.19 + Tax

Last edited by a moderator:
Safelite, who I've used in the past quoted me this to come to my work next thursday and replace the windshield

Safelite Regular Price: $363.80 View Detail

Spring Into Savings Special: 20% Off

Your Price: $288.95

And again here is the quote for the replacement in Ga.

Safelite Regular Price: $363.80 View Detail

Spring Into Savings Special: 43% Off

Your Price: $204.95

(includes labor, before tax)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have State Farm Insurance, with Comprehensive Coverage. Had a rock fly up and crack the windshield on my Sport Trac. Called my agent, and she gave me a number for their "Windshield Guy". Set up an appointment for him to come to my workplace, and he replaced the windsheild in the parking lot. My cost, $0. Same thing happened with my wife's car a couple years back. Same no-cost to me. My wife had an 86 Pontiac years ago with wheel covers, and one at a time over a period of a couple years, she slung them off hitting potholes and such. State Farm replaced them one at a time until they had replaced the whole set, again at no cost to me. Been real pleased with their Service.

Latest posts