Will I regret it?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Mullin

Reaction score
Hows it going guys? I have been looking at a 03 ST, its a 2wd, 5 speed, v6 truck. For the past 2 weeks i have been trying to decide if i should buy it or not. My main concern is power. I am not looking to make this a race truck, but i would like to be able to click off a mid 15 second pass. Is this a pipe dream? The only mods i am willing to do is intake, y pipe back exhaust, tb, and a tune..maybe some gears depending on whats in it. Is 20+ mpg (highway) obtainable? All opinions are welcome. I cant test drive the truck because its way to far away. The truck is located in MI and I am in CT. HELP!!!!

20+ MPG is a reality on highway miles. I've beaten that on long drives with my 02 2wd auto, and that was with a spark plug that cracked, so I was running on 5/6 lol.

If a gimping auto can do it, a manual definitely can.

Also, 03 manuals are rare iirc, making the ride that much better.

:smile0006:

Honestly y Jeff C (2wd Auto) ran a 15.2 with more bolt on mods then that, removed tailgate, spare, and other things.

The 2wd is lighter and the manual 5-speed should help you out..

But I think you will need more mods and if the truck has miles on it, beating it to get 15's may break more then you care to replace....

The MPG highway is obtainable all on how you drive it....

by what i am reading you will not get the 20+ unless you adjust the driving style your talking about..

Todd Z

20 mpg is possible hwy, but not much more, as todd said it is all about driving style.

I get right at 20 hwy, never drive over 60MPH, run my tires at 40 Lbs.

never drive over 60MPH

Wow, don't let age get you! Next it'll be 40 mph...

How do you make it on roads where the limit is 65 mph?

Reminds me of those jerk Staples trucks which have huge signs about they cannot go over 60 mph, yet go on roads where the limit is 65 mph...and they go at 55 mph.

Dunno about CA, but on the East Coast, the speed limit is the minimum speed anyone should be going, not the maximum. The Midwest is always hard for me to get used to.

ROFL, you'd get busted for going too slow on Route/Interstate 50 between DC and Annapolis @ 60 depending on the time.

On topic, you won't regret it. If you're trying to get your truck to do decent in races that don't last long, you might be a bit disappointed. However, with some cajones and a bit of road knowledge, you can beat your average ricer or american "sporty" FWD on the twisty roads, and that's really what matters.

I've gotten 20.5 mpg on the hwy @68-70 mph. Has plenty of power for me but I'm not a racer. :)

BTW, He didn't mention manual trans - just said it was a 5 speed.

Ahhhh another Valley guy. Greetings from shelton. i heard there was an airplane crash at oxford airport yesterday, i have to check it out. I ate dinner at that 121 restaurant 3 nights ago it is gooood.

good luck with the decision. there is another member here from Oxford as well, you should see his S/T. its beautiful.

I get 20 on my 03 4x4 and I have never had trouble passing anything.

I don't pick on muscle cars, but it will pass with a quick downshift with no problem.

Do you know if the Sport Trac you are looking at is Manual or Automatic? All 2003 automatics are 5 speed automatics, so a 5-speed could be either automatic or manual.

i have had 3 tracs, 2 with mods.

04 adren, exhaust, zabtek tb, kn intake. ee rear sway

07 lmtd v-8, exhaust, zabtek tb.

imo, just go for a catback, rear sway & zabtek tb. it may get you into upper 15's based on the 2wd.

but really, they are not much to start with as far as added performance.

save your dollars

Mike, I live on larkey which is right next to christian st. I heard the plane crash as it is only a street away. 121 is great, but you need deep pockets! would you wana meet up and take me for a ride? I have never even ridden in a sport trac. The truck is in fact a stick. Dont get the wrong impression, I dont really beat on my cars but i like to get on the gas here n there (i got to the 1/4 mile track 5 times a year or so). J rat -The truck is located in ferndale, if thats not to far I would love for you to look at it!

KL I have a good amount of seat time with trucks. I took my v6 97 dakota from a 17.20 to a 12.60. bottom line is I just want a nice 4 door truck thats 2wd and a stick that i can play with from time to time i lower my trucks (for performance) and generally try to keep them as lite as possible.

Never took it to the track,

But you did dyno it !!! :smile0015:

Todd Z

03, 2wd, 5spd manual, 25 mpg on the highway if I keep it below 65.

I also have a cap, bed extender, two sets of wheels/tires, and fender flares and could be talked into selling it. And I'm closer then Michigan.

Rob - i dated a girl that lived off larkey actually. and believe it or not im supposed to party on larkey saturday. still waiting to hear if its a sure thing. If i do go i will stop by and show you the truck sure. there are some nice back roads over there. I have an '01 with an intake and exhaust so its not exactly stock, but not far from. ill let you know by tomorrow. I might have to go back to college tomorrow but again, im not sure. check this post tomorrow for sure. probably mid day.

Rob that is kinda far for me to look at the truck, But only 10-15 min. from my sister's house I'll call her tomarrow and see if she is in MI if she is I'll have her look at it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts