will a 15" wheel fit on the sport trac???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony brizag

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has put 15" rims on there sport trac or anything. will they clear the calipers in front and drums in the rear??

I am wanting to get some old hot rod style rims for my truck, to run for a while.

like these:

I think some Tracs came with a 15 inch wheel but I'm not sure if they had a different sized caliper or anything.

Several St came with 15 inch wheels.... All the brake parts are the same ...

They should fit as long as the back spacing is correct..

Todd Z

I just swapped out my stock 15's for stock 16's two days ago. Didn't have to change a thing. Why do you want to put 15's on your trac anyway??? Just curious. I hated the way mine looked with 15's...way too small. Peace out yo.

TioReeko

does anyone have any of the black steel spare wheels layin around? you know like the spare under the bed is.

if i could get 3 more of those i would be set. just paint them red and roll on

Why do you want to put 15's on your trac anyway??? Just curious.

One reason is that if you're going to upgrade your wheels and tires both, 15" rims are a little cheaper than 16", but 15" tires are A LOT cheaper than 16". That $50 to $70 a tire adds up when you're buying four of them.

Also a 15x8 rim with 3.75" backspace is pretty common and fits bigger tires real well, but I've yet to see a 16x8 rim with less than 4" backspace and I've only found two with that. Most are 4.5" BS meaning that you'll need spacers or the tires will rub on the inside.

I'll let everyone know for sure whether 15" rims fit where 16" rims were stock after tonight. I've got four of em and hopefully gonna have 4 35" BFG Muds mounted to them and on the truck.

Right now there are 16x10s on there with 4.25 backspacing. Only reason I'm going to 15" wheels is because I got wheels and tires, mounted and balanced, for the same price as tires would have cost in 16" size.... :D

A lot of 2001s came with 15s stock. After that, everything was 16" minimum. There is a rumor that 15" wheels won't fit on the later trucks that came with 16" wheels. While it is true that they had larger (or at least different part #) brakes, I'm pretty sure that 15" wheels will still fit for two reasons. One, I'm almost certain I've seen 2002+ sport tracs with 15" wheels, and two, looking at my 16" wheels, there seems to be an easy 1/2" extra clearance all the way around as long as you don't have some ungodly high backspacing.

15" rims will fit a 2002 perfectly fine, i now have proof :D

BTW, my 15" wheels with 35" BFG Muds rides 10 times better then the 16" wheels with 35" goodyear MTRs. I think the "E" load rating is a bit too much for the weight of a sport trac and doesn't allow enough sidewall flex. The "C" load rated BFG Muds definately absorb a lot more then the MTRs did.

I ordered some 15" wheels for winter tires from tirerack.com.

They would not clear the calipers in the front. Some 15" wheels will fit, but others wont.

Tom

I have 15" wheels with 31x10.5 BFG Muds on my 2002 ST. They were the wheels and tires that came off my 91 ranger that I sold, and they fit with no problems.