Why do some members cover their license plates when they post their pics ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the same reason i dont give out my social security number over the phone....for the same reason i shred any mail with any info on it.....the same reason i change my email passwords every month.....

I know some members saw that NBC dateline where hackers got credit card numbers and sold them online for $5..... scary stuff.

And then we go to meets, and drive our trucks every day where people see it, and can easily write it down....

Most people stealing stuff LIVE in your town or near by, they don't come from out of state...

Todd Z

Two reasons. First, after working for the state, I realized how easy it is to get the personal information behind a plate. Our office was secure to the max, but I could see a friend of a state worker gaining access to the information behind a plate. The information does not include SSN, etc., but it does include name, address, etc. So, if someone saw a vehicle with something inside they liked, they could come visit and take it when you're asleep. I've seen some interiors that are unbelievably impressive, and with impressive systems, and I wouldn't want to advertise the same. Sure, someone local can take it. But, why make it as easy for someone one state over (or, in the same state if they never saw the truck in person)?

Second, so a bum won't take it and call 1-800-(whatever PA's litter hotline is). Even if the person has to be a witness at the given issuance of the ticket, it's easier to be 100% sure it never occurs. Overprotective? Perhaps. But I prefer it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome to steal mine. I am upside down on the loan anyway. I live in a tiny village called Niemcz in Poland. :lol:

[Broken External Image]:

LOL. Some people are just extra paranoid. I'm fully aware of identity theft but I don't know how you can compare something that's displayed for everyone to see wherever you go to SS numbers, credit card numbers or passwords.

I do have a friend who's credit card info was apparently skimmed at a gas station recently. That's the stuff you should worry about.

We have a lot of property crime here in Vancouver but it almost all committed by drug addicts. It's the contents of your car you have to hide, which can be really tiring after a while. Some minivans are stolen by criminals who break into houses because they haul a lot and nobody notices them. Your criminals sound more sophisticated than ours.

Good luck finding me SST...besides, I am never home. Try to guess which city/country I will be in next weekend. My US trip is delayed two weeks, so it won't be there. lol

Privacy. I don't want someone easily hunting me down.

When you PO people as much as I can (not so much here), anonymity is good. I'm deliberately vague about my location on every board profile I have. On a couple of Pittsburgh sports boards that are loaded with genuine psychos, my screen name is totally different.