Why Buy an i-Phone or Blackberry?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson Atwell

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about these smartphones the past few days. The prices are getting low enough, but I am not convinced one would be that useful. To me, they are too big. I have an iPod Touch I received for my birthday in March, but I only take it on short trips when I don't want to carry a laptop. My Motorola Z7 mobile phone gives me everything I need otherwise, in a smaller more durable package.

Any compelling reason why I should upgrade, or for that matter, for anyone to upgrade?

Depends on your use. I use a BlackBerry to synchronize calendars, contacts, e-mail, receive e-mail on the fly, limited internet access (a 2"x2" screen is only so useful), etc. When the office assigns me one, it'll be because client's always have questions and cannot wait for answers.

If you're looking for something just to hop into the internet and use casual e-mail, the iPhone (IMO) is much more attractive. Bigger screen, awesome Gmail integration, GPS (on the new version), great web software. Its only drawback is being limited to the AT&T network. But, if you want fun stuff, you go AT&T. If you want boring stuff but better coverage, you go Verizon.

I'm with you, Nelson. Too big to be a good phone. Too little to be good web surfers. Just a combo product that does lots of things, but none of them very well.

When I am due for an upgrade and it is free, then I will take it!!! And to think I work an IT field!!!!! I was once told that technology doubles about every 18 months, though I demand speed and quality at work, in every day life, well as long as it works for me, why spend the money when it will change soon! I know folks that upgrade everytime a new product comes, if they would only invest a little of that money!!!!!!!!

Adam summed it up.

The Blackberry seems a much better fit for the business user due to its easy integration with corp email systems. The iPhone seems more of the personal, entertainment device.

I have a Blackberry curve and I tried to download a ripped copy of "The Bucket List" just today to watch on the plane trip to Atlanta tomorrow, but no-go. I am sure it would have been no problem on the iPhone.

TJR

My iPod Touch is almost identical to an iPhone...just not a phone. I can hop on wi-fi all over the place for free and check email, pay bills, surf the internet, etc. The screen is small, but access is fast, and I can zoom to see things just like on an iPhone.

Several of my colleagues have iPhones (they bought them from AT&T and then cracked them to work with their Polish SIMS). I just don't see any benefit for me though. Also, for a phone, I think the battery on my iPod Touch doesn't last long. I hear the iPhone has the same problem.

If I could talk at no cost through Skype on it, I would be convinced to throw away my trusty mobile phone. That day will come soon, I think. That is the day that AT&T, Sprint and Verizon will be killed for good. No more damn two-year contracts, no more crappy customer service...just free wireless calling anywhere in the World.

If I had the money to build that device, I would quit my job and start building it today. I would call it "The Sword" or "Dragon Slayer". The ads would be so cool, with the bearer of the Sword lobbing off the head of the "Can you hear me now?" guy and other stupid mascots and spokespersons. There'd be a special ad just for William Shatner, not because he is a wireless mascot, but just because he is annoying. :lol:

No more damn two-year contracts, no more crappy customer service...just free wireless calling anywhere in the World.

Who says you have to be in a contract. I have had a cell phone for 4 years and not on any contract. I buy my phones for next to nothing and I am in not contract.

Plus, I am not cool enough to have a smart phone.

Tom

I agree with Adam/ The Blackberry is geared more for business useage rather than personal use, although there are some nice features that an individual would like in a personal phone.

I have a Blackberry that was provided for my by my office and I have unlimited access and minutes, so cost is not an issue regardless of my usage. It does all the email, address book, and contacts syncronization, works great as a phone, especially since you can change your local zarea code when you get to a remote location and the phone is smart enough to know when it needs to add the 1 and the area code. based on your current location.

Another great feature is that I can get voice mail from my IP office phone through my email and I can listen to voice mail attachements that were received at my office phone. That's a new feature on my Blackberry 8820, and was not available on my older style Blackberry. But again, that's for business since people don't install an IP ohone system in their homes

...Rich

The new iPhone will have Exchange capabilities. I will buy the upgrade to my software for that feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
No phone other than a iPhone is worth buying IMO. I've had blackberries and every other type of flip phone out there and nothing quite compares to the iPhone.

I regard the cell phone as a necessary evil. I need it for work but I'd really rather not talk to anyone, ever.

Sprint/Nextel basic hybrid for a better signal, just gimme something that works and has Direct Connect. I got the hybrid because I spend more time at my new office and the friggin' hillbillies in that county don't want any cell phone towers so the signal (for any brand of phone) sucks.

Yes I have burnout. Vacation can't come soon enough.

I have a BlackJack 2 and it is very nice. Has windows 2006 mobile so it is VERY hackable and tons of programs to use on it.

Just got Garmin XT 2009 GPS on it and it works great! also have a 8gb microSDHC card in there for all my pictures and videos I take with the phone (comes in handy when you don't have a digital camera) and can take a nice picture up till a 1600X1200 res and 320X250 video clip as long as the memory will allow.

The phone only cost me $100 after rebate (which I got back in less then a month) I did have a RAZR which was crap. I have about 3gb of music on it and bought some OEM Samsung headphones off ebay for $5 shipped. Sound is great.

Also have TONS of free java games and I downloaded SNES,NES,GENESIS,GAMEBOY,GAMEGEAR and a couple other roms on there to play when I'm on a break or stuck somewhere.

Can watch ALOT of formats of different files also. avi, divx, xvid, mov, asf, wmv, flv and so much more. I have a couple full movies on my card and it plays them flawless with no skipping or bad sound. Was watching Semi-Pro today on my break and it played great.

The internet works great on it too. You can watch flash videos on youtube or anywhere and have the option to save the video on your memory card and view it whenever you want. Which is nice and saves on data usage.

All and all a good buy.

While I liked the Iphone I thought it was too much money for what you got. By all means if you wanna brag thats cool...It just seems like its the same reason people get 28" rims....all gimmick. I also couldn't see myself spending that much on something that will only drop more and more in price when something new will be out in a couple months.

I have a Blackberry Curve and love the thing!!! Don't know where anyone gets the idea it's not good for internet. I can do banking, investing (even better when the new E-trade Software comes out, check this link out below) get sports scores, and read news. The Iphone has a better web browser but I like having a full keyboard better. The Blackberrys are more buisness and the Iphone is better for web browsing and music, at least till the Blackberry Bold comes out here real shortly. BB's for adults and iphone for teens:lol:

Latest posts