Who can give me insight on a snow plow?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After serving in the U.S. Coast Guard for over 7 years in Virginia, I am finally back home in Massachusetts. I have a 2005 Sport track 4X4 XLT, with 85,000 miles and ready for the snowy season! I am considering getting a plow for clearing my driveway and a neighbor or two; nothing long-term or to make money off of, but I couldn't find a recent post on what is recommended for Sport trac plows. Is it worth it? I've seen the smaller, lighter plows that are "clear" looking . . . are those better? I would like to have hydraulics, but is the cost effective to plow a couple times here and there? Anyone regret getting a plow or did it do damage to the drive train? Any input is appreciated . . . I'm just glad to be back home. Thank you and drive safe!

Here in southern California, I have gotten by with an ... umbrella.

Unless its used continuously for at least a week, it seems a lot effort to install and remove each time.

Don't know where in MA (and how much snow), but how about a gas-powered, self-propelled blower? Self-contained, no fuss with installation or modifications to your car and lowered damage potential to your car. Once the neighbors are trained, you watch them plow their own drive while you sip wine from the warm cozy inside.

The price range is wide, but I see many from ~500.00 to $2500.00.

Just thoughts.

I have a Snowbear plow on my 05, I have had it for 4 years and it works great. No drive train problems so far with 200k km on my truck. The plow is very easy to remove and install once it is all set up. Here in souther Ontario we get some heavy snow at times and the plow works great. I have the one with the electric winch and it is fine for what I do, not used for commercial use just for my driveway and some neighbours.

Snowbear.com

I found a plow that attaches via a 2in receiver that I was looking into, I will see if I can find that link for you. It requires no wiring.