Whistling noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Steele

Reaction score
Every time i got to accelerate in the mornings when its cold my ST makes a loud whistling noise. My friend thinks that it could be my tranny but im not really sure.

Air in the intake tube and throttle body. Mine does the same on rare occasions. It's merely the air, at a certain temperature, running through the system, until the system warms up.

Could also be the alternator.

Todd Z

Yep, another vote that its the alternator, especially if on really cold mornings (below 15 deg F) and if only making that noise until warmed up. My '04 did it.

There was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about the issue. My dealer wasn't able to reproduce as it's only that cold here in southeastern PA very intermittently. They told me even if they could reproducce it they wouldn't fix it under warranty as it was a minor, occasional annoyance that is temporary and doesn't pose a safety hazard. Bold move!

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
My 03 has done this for 41000 miles, at around 1800 rpm. Speed up or slow down and it quits. Alternator for sure on mine.

Do you have a K&N filter? If so that possible, if not go to an autozone or advanced auto and have them test it. I have an 03 and never heard it but under cold or in some cases, extreme colds say temps below 0 the trac does make plenty of noises until it warms up. Even when under warranty, dealer said this was normal.

Latest posts