"Whining" From Rear End

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Geddes

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've got an 01 4x4 4.0Lit, and I have a whine coming from the rear end, its been there for a little while but its really annoying me. Any suggestions as to what it might be? The pitch of the whine changes when I'm accelerating or decelerating its truly odd

It is either the rear drive shaft U-Joint or, and more likely, the rear end gears.

(Good point brought up by the others, I took your location literally. The noise could easily travel though).

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the fluid levels in all the gear boxes.....

Could be the transmission and not the rear, there was a noise issue with the earlier transmissions, But if the tranny, it will not cause any damage just annoying...

Todd Z

Gear noise is the planetaries in the trans. Todd is correct. Very annoying but will not hurt or cause damage. My 03 does it. Had it looked at and the dealer printed a copy of the TSB for my records.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the same whinning on other vehicles. It always turned out to be the pinion bearings. That is not gospel, just my experiance.....